On The Run

~~Justin's POV~~

"Uh-oh." Isabelle stated. I looked at her, "what?" I asked worriedly. She faced me, "I forgot my medicine at home..." She slouched and I knew she had fainted. I saw a hotel coming up on the right so I pulled off. I went around to Isabelle's side of the car and held her bridal style. I walked into the hotel and got a room. At that point Isabelle started to 'come to'. I laid her down on the bed and waited for her to be competent.

"Justin?" Isabelle said frantically. I held her hand

"I'm right here baby." I said calmly. Isabelle held her head with one hand.

"We have to go back Justin...back to my house. We have to sneak back so I can get my medicine. Then we can run. Run to wherever you had planned." Isabelle said while getting up off the bed. She ran out the hotel room and down the stairs. I chased after her. She was in the car when I checked out of the hotel room, getting confused looks from the hotel workers. I went out to the car and hopped in. Isabelle looked worried, scared, and nervous.

---

"Okay Isabelle, you ready?" I said. Scooter got me a Ducati to ride into Isabelle's town on. We figured if we were on a bike, it would be faster and easier to get away if we were seen. Isabelle nodded her head and put on her helmet. Isabelle held my waist tightly as I sped down the road. When we arrived at her house there was a car outside. It was her moms.

"What is she doing home?" I hear Isabelle say angrily. I shrug my shoulders not knowing how to respond. Isabelle stomps around nervously. She stops pacing and gives me a cunning look. "I have an idea. I'm going to sneak back into my room and get down the hallway into the kitchen. I'll grab the medicine bottle and run out the side door. Be ready on the bike with it running. I'm gonna jump on and as soon as I'm on you are to drive." She explains to me.

"But...your mom is home. You're gonna have to pass her at some point to get to your medication." I state slowly.

"Oh well. That's a bridge I'll just have to cross when I get to it." She said and without hesitation walked to her window. I hopped on the bike, put on my helmet, and started the bike. I waited for Isabelle to come out.

~~Isabelle's POV~~

I popped off the screen of my window. I looked at Justin and I realized the bike was on. It was quiet. Good. I lifted the window and climbed in. I put the screen back on and closed the window. I stood and listened. I didn't hear anyone. Maybe she was sleeping. I looked around my room. The note was no longer where I left it but, otherwise, my room was untouched. They probably thought I was coming back. I quietly walked down the hallway and that's when I saw her...my mom, lying on the couch.

(Flashback)

My dad: grammee is going to stay with us for a little bit while mommy is away.

I was in 7th grade.

Me: where is mommy?

My dad: ...a special hospital where they are going to help her with her drinking. She will be in rehab for about a month sweetie.

Me: uh...um...okay

(End of Flashback)

She was let out 1 month later and has been sober ever since. Until today. My mom was passed out on the couch. Empty bottles surrounding her. I left, she got upset, she drank. My dads missing. Did he leave her? I couldn't worry about it now. I quickly wrote a note and stuck it on the tv.

'Dear mom,

I took your keys. I love you.

-me'

I grabbed my medicine bottle and her car key, i didnt want her driving drunk. My hand was on the door knob when I heard a rustling and saw something move in my peripheral vision. I looked to my right and saw my mom standing there. Her make-up was smudged across her face and her hair was in knots.

"You," she slurred, "look what you did. When you left I started drinking again. I'm glad you left. You were just a bother!" She threw a wine bottle at me. She was never a violent drunk. I don't know where this came from. I ducked just in time I walked out the door and right before I shut it I heard her say, "leave again you good for nothing bitch!" I ran to the bike. I threw my helmet on and hopped on the bike. "Drive." I said the one word. I was crying. Justin went to turn, probably to ask what was wrong when I shouted the one word again, "drive!" He listened. We drove back the way we came. It was getting late. We stopped at a hotel.

"What happened?" Justin asked when we walked into the hotel room.

"Nothing." I sated plainly. Sitting on the bed.

"Tell me." He said rubbing my back. I broke down in his shoulder.

"Remember that 'family thing' that happened in 7th grade that I still haven't told you about?" I said.

"Yea." Justin said with sincerity in his voice.

I handed Justin my moms car key, "I think it's about time for me to tell you..."