02 ; the first encounter

She was... surprised.

Fuyu looked at Kakashi from the top to bottom as the latter did the same to her. Finally, their eyes made contact with each other. Black eyes locked with green eyes. Both of them greeted each other by simply raising their eyebrows.

Hiruzen gave out a quite loud cough, disturbing their little eye contact for a minute. "Kakashi, this is Fuyu. She's a new jounin so I'm hoping you take good care of her."

Both Kakashi and Fuyu glanced towards each other before looking away. Hiruzen took a scroll on his table and placed it in Fuyu's hands. "Both of you were late, so best you be off right NOW." And he kicked both of them out of his office.

They picked up their client as soon as possible. Not only was the client furious, they wasted a brief ten minutes because the owner was curious upon Fuyu.

"I PAID FOR ONE FAMOUS SHINOBI!!! DOES THIS MEAN I HAVE TO PAY MORE???!!!!" Her screams literally echoed throught Konoha.

Fuyu was shocked that she could hold on her urge to stab the client. Kakashi only ignored the client's angry remarks, focusing on the novel in his hands.

Fuyu was so close to ripping that novel to shreds. So close.

They started their journey immediately. Fuyu offered to protect the client from the back just so she could save herself from being bombarded with questions again. Kakashi took the front while the client was all alone in the middle. Their journey was quiet, much to Fuyu's pleasure..... and boredom. Hence, she spent most of her time watching at the jonin in front of her. Being one of Iruka's acquaintance, she has heard tons of tales of the great Copy Ninja. Tales of him copying thousands of jutsu, being as strong as other ninjas, this guy has earned her respects.

If ONLY he stopped reading that weird novel.

"Kakashi kun-" Fuyu nearly spilled out her breakfast at that particular word. "Can we stop here for awhile? I'm tired." Kakashi turned, looking at the client before looking at Fuyu. "Shall we?" He asked. Fuyu slightly hummed.

"Your choice."

They rested at a nearby tree. The wind was blowing gently at their direction, making Fuyu feel a little sleepy. She sat at one of the tree branches just to avoid getting into a conversation with anyone and trying to fix her messy hair (she blames Iruka for causing her to forget about her hair this morning.) She watched the client from above, looking as the client somehow flirts with her partner.

Now she really felt like puking.

"And here you are, just watching from above." She turned around to be greeted by Kakashi sitting on a branch quite near to hers. She gave him a small smirk. "I think, she only paid you because she wants to flirt with you." Kakashi rolled his eyes, ignoring her comment before changing the topic. "You seem close to the Hokage just now." Fuyu's eyes seemed to turn gloomy for a second. "He... took care of me when I was young."

She was always awkward when it comes to talking about the Hokage. He nodded and they finally decided to be immersed in their own thoughts.

Kakashi announced that they will continue the mission in a few minutes. Fuyu jumped down from the tree, surprising the client at the same time. She said she was sorry, but the client had pulled her towards herself. The client immediately released her grip on Fuyu the next second. "You're so cold. Are you sick or something?" Fuyu shook her head. "That's ... my normal body temperature. Reall-"

"Why did the Hokage assign a sick kunoichi to protect me?? It would've been better if it was just that guy." The client then left her alone under the tree.

Fuyu decided she would reject escorting missions next time if she could.

Their journey continued till night. Fuyu looked at the moon, shining brightly and giving them a little light for them to continue their mission. They were halfway through the Land of Frost at the current moment. The temperature had gotten cooler by the minute and while Kakashi and their client had shown some reaction towards the cold weather, Fuyu remained neutral to the weather.

It was already midnight. The sounds of crickets and other animals were like music to her ears. Fuyu slowly hummed a melody while still keeping watch of the client. They closed their distance between each other now, determined to keep the client safe and sound (and in the other two's cases, trying to keep each other warm). She watched Kakashi lead their way calmly, still aware of his surroundings.

Fuyu felt someone was watching them. She quietly took out a kunai from her pockets. "You noticed too?" The Copy Nin whispered. She closed her distance more to the client. Taking a deep breath, she whispered to the client. "Make one remark, and I will impale this kunai to your neck and give you to whoever is watching us."

The client remained quiet after that.

They continued walking, observing the surrounding for any changes. The musical sound of crickets had died down. She was definitely sure now that there were a few people watching them. They were preparing themselves, for sure.

The first kunai came approaching them. Fuyu dodged the first attack and quickly move until she stood right in front of the client. "You may be a pain in the neck, but you are my first jounin mission." Sighing, she took out another kunai while watched as the enemies appeared one by one. "Well, this will be interesting." She turned to Kakashi, whom had revealed his Sharingan. He caught her looking at him. "Protect her at all cause, even if you despise her."

Fuyu gave a small chuckled and threw the first kunai at an approaching enemy.

The client could only remained still as the two ninjas fought the bandits. Fuyu danced throughout her fight, attacking the enemies with her kunai and taijutsu while Kakashi attacked them with the aid of his Sharingan and water jutsus. It only took them a few minutes to beat all the enemies. "Not bad, for a new jounin."

"Did you just underestimate me???" They were about to start a verbal fight when one of the bandits chuckled softly. "It's not over yet, I'm afraid. We were only the first wave." The bandit fell dead.

The sea of bandits came at the speed of light. Fuyu casted a shadow clone and assigned herself to attack the enemies far from the client while her clone protected the client. Kakashi battled the enemies near his area. The large number of enemies did not seem like it would end, and the two ninjas had started to feel tired. Fuyu breathed heavily as threw her final kunai as it flew through an enemy's heart. She activated a Water Jutsu and blasted it through a number of enemies. Panting heavily, she couldn't last any longer now. She turned to Kakashi, who was in quite the same condition as her.

Fuyu turned and was surprised as she watched the enemy had destroyed her clone. Both the jounins' eyes widened as a bandit jumped from out of nowhere, swords in his hands ready to kill the client. Kakashi ran to save the client, although he knew deep inside him it was impossible. His anger rose by watching Fuyu remained still with her eyes closed. She was nearer to her, she could have saved their client!!! What was she thinking??

He stopped running when a giant icicle had impaled the bandit. Kakashi turned to the still Fuyu.

The moment her eyes opened, Kakashi was taken aback as her green eyes had turned to sapphire.