Chapter 2. I

The date of departure loomed closer and closer. Finally, it arrived. The ten selected people had packed their bags, and were prepared to catch an afternoon flight to the tiny island off the coast of the Pacific Ocean. It was a mere speck against the vast blue expanse of water, but it was the chosen location.

Mitchell and Alex were carpooling which, of course, meant that it would be some time before they even managed to leave the house; let alone get to the airport. (Alex wanted to bring his oversized gaming laptop, which simply refused to fit in the car.)

Maira had gotten her hands on a first class ticket, after many special arrangements. The enclosed ticket was third class, and there was no way she was taking that lowly thing. If she was to travel, she had to do it in style. Little did she know that Angela had done the same, and was to take the same flight as her.

Angela had decided to ditch her private jet just this once; her fans were upset that she was going to set them aside for a bit. The public terminal was a good place to meet up with some of them before she left; sign a few autographs and take a couple pictures before flying over to San Francisco, where she would switch flights. It was good publicity too.

Salwa managed to get a ride over to the airport, but only because Tess had to pick up some orders from the post office. Tess's fan letters were getting very detailed, and were often accompanied by little gifts. Salwa's paint orders had come in, and she was prepared to paint her heart out when she returned from her trip. So the two of them drove to the airport together. They spent quite a long time discussing the literary use of the word "door".

Max and Nico both detested planes. (Max because of the ever changing air pressure, and Nico because of the airplane food.) So they took a strenuous ferry ride instead. The whole time Max was paranoid that the boat was going to sink. Nico encouraged the thought, conjuring insane theories that spooked the heck out of Max. Once on shore, Max decided never to travel by sea or with Nico ever again.

At first, Henry wondered if he could just run all the way to the island. This was until he realized it was overseas (and even he knew that he wasn't some biblical person who could split the water in half), so he took a plane instead. Every hour though, he ran laps inside the plane so that he didn't develop deep vein thrombosis. His commotion caused a lot of uproar throughout the flight as he nearly tripped over a baby, and caused an emergency landing because of a "terrorist attack".

Kal also took a plane, but he made sure that the pilot was legally administered to fly, and that the plane was the most fuel efficient as possible. And of course, he didn't go without his trusty companion, the book Sciencia. With his book, he managed to survive the ten-hour trip despite the fact that he was on the same plane as Henry. However, Kal couldn't help discussing the quadratic equation with the person who had the unfortunate chance of sitting next to him: a 6 year old who was just trying to watch Backyardigans in peace.

And so then they were off, to an island of false dreams and shattered hopes. But then again, they had no idea what the future had in store...

AN: The characters are about to meet each other! Who do you think is going to get along, and why were they called? Do you like the story so far? Comment, Vote and Share!!!

Peace Out!