Chapter 8. II

It was exactly 9:55 pm. Maira yawned. She had been reading for the past couple of hours, and the only reason she went down to dinner was because Salwa and Angela dragged her there. She was not in the mood for Kyle's thin smiles and rehearsed speeches, so she had smuggled Sherlock under the table. If Kyle noticed her darting eyes, he didn't mention it. Now Maira was lying in bed with the lights on and the pillows stacked up precariously to support her neck. She was cramming whatever she could into the precious minutes that remained, -which wasn't much, actually- but when the power turned off for the night, there was nothing left to do but sleep. Or so she thought.

Images floated beneath her eyelids but she just couldn't drift off. Scenes from the book replayed in her mind. But it all came back to one thought: Sherlock Holmes is even better than I imagined. Maira admired how observant he was, and his sheer brainpower. No wonder why he was such a great detective. she thought. Her breathing slowed to a steady rhythm. And that's when the walls began to creak.

At first, Maira, admittedly, was genuinely afraid. But as she reached for her glasses, her gaze came to rest on the book that lay on the bedside table, illuminated by the moonlight. What would Sherlock do? Maira asked herself subconsciously. She rolled out of bed. Sherlock would investigate and get to the bottom of it. Maira padded over to the leftmost wall and leaned against it. Then again, Sherlock wouldn't be stuck on this godforsaken island in the first place. Maybe it was just her, but the footfalls seemed louder and clearer than last time. Footsteps, definitely footsteps. But what would footsteps be doing inside a wall? Or rather, what would a person be doing inside a wall, if it is a person at all? There were too many questions and so little Maira could do to answer them. But she had her imaginary Sherlock, and he kept her from losing her mind.

Maira eased the door open. A faint breeze wound its way across the empty hall. Maira trailed behind it instinctively. She followed the fragile wisps of air to the creaking wall. The footsteps were definitely coming from behind it. Her breathing quickened and her heart pounded, she could feel the adrenaline rushing beneath her skin. Maira approached the wall carefully. Under the cover of darkness with the moon as her only witness, it swallowed her whole, and the Mayor of Ravensworth City was plunged into its bottomless depths.

  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: O_o Maira...? What could have possibly happened to her? Is she... is she... dead?  What do you think? Let us know in the comments! Any 'Sherlock' fans out there? Well, this one's for you! Meet your fellow Sherlock fan: Maira Khan, Mayor of Ravensworth City. (Late mayor..?) Once again, is she dead?

Vote, Comment, Share, Follow, and Happy Reading!