Chapter 3. X

Max stepped into his room, with a broad smile plastered on his face. Sure Nico was great company, but after so many years enduring his cringe-worthy puns, and coping with food shortages, it could really set one's nerves on edge. And Max decided that he could use a break. He pushed the door closed behind him absentmindedly, and collapsed onto the bed. He savored the silence for a few minutes, just for the sake of knowing that Nico would not barge in on him. He then marched up to the large drawing desk on the other side of the room. Art supplies scattered its surface, and there was even a small shelf above it that held a wide assortment of manga. He plopped down on the plush swivel chair and turned on the lamp. It illuminated his workspace perfectly. Max reached up, and began flipping through the manga books. To his surprise, a worn, old looking page fell out of the book. It clearly did not belong there. He began to read.

A village devastated: How one person's choice impacted the nation

Our condolences to the many families that have been affected by this tragedy. A small village was blasted to smithereens after a bomb was set off near its borders. 37 people have been injured with 4 deaths, and another 62 reported missing. The village was hosting one of its community traditions when it was attacked. It has been classified as an act of terrorism. If you have any information about the terrorist(s), please call the police or crime stoppers.

Stapled neatly beneath the article was a note.

Mass murderer are you now? Enjoying the additional fame?

Max shrank back against his chair. Time seemed to freeze for a moment. He let out a shaky breath, before scribbling all over both the article and the note with a black Copic marker. He then crumpled them up, and tossed the ball into the trash can. His heart was racing wildly, and he needed to get some fresh air. Max threw back the heavy curtains and unlatched the window. He took a couple deep breaths, before backing away again.There was no way he was telling Nico about the note and article, but for once, he could use a terrible pun to relieve his anxiety. Max rushed out and into the hallway searching the doors for Nico's name plate.

Gifteds: And Then There Were Noneजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें