Chapter 3. VI

Tess was quite confused. Why am I still here if there is no point? she wondered as she opened the door to her designated room. Once revealed, Tess was starstruck, amongst all rustic furniture, books lined the walls. There were possibly over hundreds of books by the most prominent authors. Tess was shocked and she has hardly ever been so in her lifetime. She forgot about unpacking and started rummaging through each book.

"I could live here forever!" she exclaimed pleasantly. So far, she has studied one shelf's worth of titles, trying to see which one will appeal to her. She just can't choose one. Then, suddenly, a pure book with a pink outline caught her interest. The One Thing was carved into the hardcover. She remembered that book from her childhood, it was one of her favourites. As she opened the book to bring back old memories, she noticed something very odd at the bottom of the page. Someone had vandalised this book with what looked like blood:

Looks like you weren't illusive enough.

Confused, Tess flipped the page to find another surprise. Creased between the pages was something was a headline that was ripped out of a newspaper:

Head field marshall dies of unknown causes. Autopsy to be conducted.

Tess began to quiver. She remembered the day very well.

She had been invited along with many other government officials to have a conference over her most recent book. Tess had known that she would cause a lot of controversy with the release of this novel. After all, she was criticizing the country's government and revealing its corruption. She almost got stripped of her citizenship. However, she found out that the military was planning something. So, in order to avoid succumbing to an unconventional death, she took fate into her own hands. At the conference, she had slipped Cerbera Odollam -one of the world's most potent plants- into the drink of mastermind overseeing meeting. He had no knowledge of what happened when he collapsed onto his bathroom floor five hours later.

Consequently after coming back to reality, Tess dropped the book and marched out of her room.