Chapter 4. I

The group met up in the great hall after dropping off their luggage. Kyle strode in as calmly as ever, and turned to face them. Some were shaking, some sweating, and some were silent. Henry's eyes flickered from person to person, waiting to see if anyone would catch his eye. Eventually, he gave up. Henry marched up to Kyle and exploded.

'WHY IS THERE A RANDOM ARTICLE AND NOTE IN MY ROOM!? WHO PUT IT THERE, AND WHY IS IT ADDRESSED TO ME? I DEMAND ANSWERS!" he shouted. His voice echoed off the walls, magnifying it immensely. The others hastily agreed.

"Yeah, tell us what that is all about!" Alex piped up.

Kyle scanned the room, before ordering them to quiet down. They did with some difficulty.

"I see you are all quite concerned about this, and I assure you that it will be tended to. But may I inquire, do any of you happen to posses evidence to support these outlandish claims?" A few seconds passed in silence before anyone spoke again. The group slowly realized that they had all destroyed their evidence in spite of anger and fear that someone had discovered their secrets. Mitchell however bit his lip and swore to reveal his evidence later. Not now, the time wasn't right.

"No, I suppose we don't." Kal whispered voicing all of their thoughts.

"Well, if that would be all, please make your way to the dining room. It is right through those doors." Kyle motioned to the large double doors at the other end of the room.

The group followed Kyle to the dining room. There was a long wooden table in the centre, covered with a white tablecloth. Silverware was already set in front of each seat, and the napkins were folded up and placed in the glasses. There were 10 chairs in all. Six candelabras perched on the surface at steady intervals, but that was nothing compared to the impressive crystal chandelier hanging above, illuminating the room with its steady glow. To top it all off, a grand fireplace cackled merrily at the foot of the table, while a grandfather clock ticked away above it.

"Why does everything look so old?" Mitchell remarked as he tried not to trip on the plush carpet. "I mean, the mansion looks like it was made ages ago, and there is no WiFi!"

"Well I for one think it looks wonderful!" Tess exclaimed, shooting Mitchell a distinct glare.

"Well, your opinion doesn't count for much does it now?" Henry shot back.

Kyle began organizing everyone into their proper seats. The seating plan was in the same order as their rooms on the second floor. Each of the ten guests sat at the long sides of the table, facing one another. None of them made an effort to start a conversation with any of their fellow guests - not even an exchange of compliments or other small talk. In fact, they all made an effort to not make eye contact with another guest.

Dinner was very eventful indeed. Kyle himself served as their waiter, and processed any of their requests. Nico even had Kyle offer his compliments to the head chef. The meal ended without a single argument or complaint (which was a first), and the group headed upstairs for the night.

"Good evening! Bathrooms are located at that end of the hall. I advise you not to go wandering around at night." Kyle condemned." You have an hour before the recommended bedtime. Lights will be turned off at ten, and will not return until six in the morning. Don't hesitate to ask if you need anything at all." Kyle retreated back down the steps. He never specified where to find him if he was needed.

"Bedtime regulations? What are we, juvenile children?" Maira cried in disgust. "This is outrageous!"

A few people nodded in agreement. Mitchell, Kal, Angela, Salwa, Henry, and Alex locked themselves in their rooms for the night. Nico, Max, and Maira went to Tess's room to play a couple rounds of cards. At precisely ten, the lights suddenly switched off. The only illumination came from the moon, shining brightly through the window. Nico scrambled to the light switch, and tried flipping it a few times. Nothing happened.

"Damn it! I thought he was joking!" Nico muttered. Clearly, Kyle was not. He, Max, and Maira filed out of Tess's room and made their way back to their own bed chambers. The guests went to bed, but didn't fall asleep. Rows and rows of walls separated all of the beds, in which they lay tossing and turning. There were way too many new things to contemplate.