Chapter 6. IV

"Stupid. Freaking. Island. With no wifi." Alex muttered yet again; he couldn't play online. He got up and paced around the room wondering what to do. He felt like if he stayed here for one more day, he would collapse of boredom and isolation. He had to get out. Especially after Henry's suspicious death. Two years had been enough with his classmates and he had no desire to stay any longer. Especially without wifi.

Alex went into his closet and looked for his suitcase. He grabbed and hastily dropped a few things into it before deciding he might need some sort of weapon and food provisions. He decided to go to the kitchen and grab a few cans. Alex walked out into the hall and for the first time, noticed the painting. The painting had always been there in the hall; it was of a bowl of fruit or something boring like that. Alex was never that interested in art but something seemed different. Something had changed. But he soon forgot about it and decided to continue to the kitchen. He arrived as soon as Kyle had left, perfect timing. Kyle made Alex uncomfortable. There was just something unnatural about that guy, something very wrong.

Alex grabbed a few random cans and headed back to his room.

He threw the cans into the suitcase and looked around the room. He had his phone in his pocket and bringing anything else would be arduous. He decided that leaving in the middle of the day would be too obvious, so he decided to wait until the middle of the night.

The rest of the day's events went as planned. They were in the middle of dinner when Kyle entered and clapped his hands. Everyone looked up from their dish, and the talking died down.

"You have been here for almost a week now and I am sure that at least one of you is thinking about leaving." he smiled. "Well, I can assure you that there will be dire consequences for that. I suggest you sit tight and amuse yourself with the facilities we have here. We wouldn't want anyone getting hurt." He looked around to see if anyone had anything to say, gave a curt bow and walking back out of the room.

"Well that was weird," Nico stated, easing the tension in the room.

"Yeah, it was" Salwa replied, giving a short laugh. Gradually, the dining hall resumed to its normal noise level, as if the conversation didn't happen at all. There was only one person still thinking about Kyle's words. Alex.

He couldn't possibly know. This is some sort of sick joke. He assured himself. He decided that he was not hungry anymore and just sat in silence until dinner was over.