Chapter 12. V

Salwa was already lying in bed. She had reorganized her paint colours in every way possible. If I do it anymore, I'll be able to recognize each paint tin by touch. Rubbing her eyes, she couldn't help but think about her painting of Henry being smudged. Who would dare do that? Glancing at the clock she noticed that only a few minutes were left before the electricity was cut off. Throwing off her covers, she opened her door, letting it hit the wall with a loud slam and swinging back closed. Other things were on her mind. The doors to Max and Mitchell's rooms swung open merely moments after. Salwa didn't pay attention to the two peering out at her; instead, she stopped right in front of what used to be her painting of Henry.

"The Creation of Adam," Salwa muttered. "When did this change and where did my painting go?"

"Say what?" Max asked. He started walking to be beside her but, a deadly glance from Mitchell reminded him that Salwa was not to be trusted.

Mitchell sighed and spoke extremely loud, "Stop acting as if you know things. You're as clueless as us!"

Salwa looked at the painting, then at Mitch and then at Max. She offered a small sad smile at Max, which he returned, and walked back to her room. She silently closed her door and burrowed under the covers. The left side of the painting was smudged on this as well. She didn't bother to ask how they got the original painting. Knowing that crazy people were the ones that kept them here, she didn't doubt that it wasn't original.