Chapter 17. II

Tess entered her room, then went Nico into his. Angela was strutting with a new air to her stance and flounced out, somewhat in a huff, all the way to her room. Max stretched his shoulders to remove slouch crushing down on them, slapped his cheeks after taking a deep breath, and timidly went to his room as well. Kal slowly walked to his. When he was right in front of the door, he abruptly stopped. Turning on his the heel of his foot, he pivoted towards Salwa's door. Creeping forward, he made extra sure not to disturb anyone in their rooms. Scanning the wall, he found two barely noticeable holes; they were both a little more than two arms length apart. Putting one hand over one, and the other over the second one, Kal closed his eyes. He imagined the terror that Salwa experienced, the pain that shot through her nerves. Salwa died here. Salwa. His greatest competition in middle school. She was the only person that could catch up to him for marks. Back when his greatest fear was not being the smartest in his class. Kal's lips curved into a bitter smile. But she's dead now. His smile transformed into a grimace. And we're next. Removing his hands from the wall, he rubbed the back of his head and backed away. Turning on his heel once again, he finally walked back to his room and shut the door. He may have convinced everyone to look out for each other, but would that even make a difference?