Chapter 15. I

DNA tests were a nuisance. Vital, but still a nuisance. If only they could speak. Kal sorted through all the information he had laid in front of him. Ok... ok... wait what... oh, oh of course... mhm... He looked up and rubbed his eyes. He shoved the papers aside and strolled over to the speckled plant that he had acquired in the gardens. After extensive research (thanks to the library in the rec room) he had come to the conclusion that the plant was not a new undiscovered species. They were just Caladiums. Plain, simple Caladiums, not uncommon in these parts. Though some species are speckled, Kal was yet to spot a real one in the massive garden. He looked at the papers strewn carelessly around his desk. The speckles turned out to be Alex's dried blood. Kal flopped onto his bed and stared at the ceiling.

You all have that one smart kid in your class who knows more than anyone else. These kids are usually picked on and shunned for their passion for knowledge. Thankfully, Kal had never been in that position for a long time. Its a gifted thing he thought. His friends valued him for his intellect. Don't get him wrong, he appreciates it, but some days, he wished that he could be more of a supportive friend and less of an overseeing professor. There were certain classmates that hadn't even spoken five words to. ("Hello, I'm Kal." That's about it.)

The only useful things he had done so far were confirming Henry's death and now Alex's. Even the stupid letter he received from the nonexistent 'International Science Federation' praised his ability to think. Then again, the ISF was just another trick played by his captives. Sometimes he wondered if others thought he even had feelings. They all ran to Kal for information, but they never ran to him with an invite to their birthday parties. It was no surprise when he announced his new career as a scientist. They congratulated him, but behind his back they joked good naturedly about how he would always become one, how he would have demolished all of his competitors with advanced quantum physics, how he was...Kal. They didn't mean it in an ill manner, but it still stung. Honestly, how would quantum physics secure a job? Ridiculous.

But then again, he never really was the outgoing type either. Kal rolled into a sitting position and removed his goggles. He stretched his neck. Society is a demanding place. Kal reviewed the information to confirm the result. Yes, Alex's blood. 100% sure. He yawned and lay back down again. That's when his next task came.

"Kal! Kal up up up!", Angela ordered.

He groaned. "What is it. Another blood test?" he asked sarcastically.

"Actually yes! How did you know?"

"I figured." Kal reluctantly pulled himself up and walked to the person at the door.

"Show me where the blood is. I need to take a sample."

"Of course. Right this way." And Kal allowed himself to be lead away.