Chapter 14. III

Max woke up with a dry mouth and tired eyes. Looking in the mirror, he saw that his eyes were red and slightly swollen. For a minute he wondered why, but then everything came back to him. Salwa... the masked man... knives... blood... "Thank you"... He looked back at his reflection, and it seemed to say KILLER back at him. He shook his head. It must be lack of sleep. That had to be a nightmare. Feeling a bit better, he decided to go and check Salwa's room before he went down. Maybe he could go down with her and tell her about the crazy dream he had. They would probably laugh it off together, right?

He walked by until he reached Salwa's door. He knocked three times and waited. No answer. He shrugged it off, She's probably too tired or maybe she went down already. He knocked a bit louder this time. No answer. He pounded the door. Still, no answer. On a whim, he decided to try the doorknob. He slowly turned it and it clicked open. Her room was pretty clean, with a lot of art supplies and art pieces. On an easel by the window was an almost finished portrait of Alex. On the easel beside it was a cover, so he could not see what was under it. He started to walk in but then remembered that he had to be down for breakfast. I guess she's already down...

He opened the door to the dining hall and searched the room for Salwa. She wasn't there. The truth finally hit him and he walked towards the window so that no one could see the tears rolling down his cheek. Nonononono. She didn't die. That couldn't happen. He no longer wanted to eat and looking out the window, he contemplated throwing himself off. He shook his head. That wouldn't make sense. This is the first floor, I wouldn't die. He dragged himself to the table and sat down. Three people weren't here yet, had more than one person died yesterday? At the last minute, Angela ran in with disheveled hair but a made up face, and soon after her, Kyle. The people who are later than Kyle never make it to the table. So, two people died yesterday? He felt tears welling in his eyes again as he was reminded by the image of Salwa, pinned to the wall by three knives, and the only thing he could do was to help her end her pain. He looked down and the image of his hands were blurred by the tears coming fast down his cheeks. He also noticed Nico was not eat that morning.