『The One - Yamaguchi Tadashi』

(soulmate au)

~*~*~*~*~*~

The seemingly plastic timer on his wrist counting down the days, hours, minutes, and seconds is something that always keeps Yamaguchi Tadashi up at night.

Everyone has one, some with different times than others. Some, like Yamaguchi's, are still counting down. Some have already finished their counting. In other cases, some never even began counting.

Laying in bed, Yamaguchi stares at his wrist timer, watching the seconds tick down. He really should be sleeping, he has school tomorrow still, but he can't. The wrist timer keeps him up thinking about just who his soulmate will be. Who also has a timer on his wrist counting down at the same exact time as him?

Many people, he's sure. But which one is for him?

He has heard from his parents that the timer has some sort of force, some magic to it that draws you to your soulmate when it is time.

The numbers continue to decrease, one by one. Yamaguchi sighs, and diverts his attention away from his wrist to stare at the ceiling.

Wouldn't it be great if (Y/N) and I happened to be soulmates? Being friends since childhood and all would make things a lot easier... Yamaguchi smiles to himself, his heart fluttering at the thought. Tsukki doesn't care much for his timer. He's stated it before, I remember.

Turning his head to the side, he sees the time blinking back at him on his clock. 2:00 AM. Yawning, he lays on his side facing the wall. I guess I should sleep now, I'll worry about soulmates later.

~*~*~*~*~*~

"Hey, Tadashi!" (Y/N) calls out to the brunette as they enter the classroom, waving. "I have something to tell you!"

"Good morning, (Y/N)!" He greets, Tsukishima following with a short 'good morning' next to him. "What is it?"

They thrust their wrist in front of his face, startling him. "Look! My timer!"

Yamaguchi inspects it and notices, There's about thirty six hours left on it. He looks down at his own timer. 36 hours. Just like (Y/N)! He looks up at them with a bright smile on his face. "That's awesome! I'm so excited for you!" I might be soulmates with (Y/N)! No, I am soulmates with (Y/N), I'm sure of it!

Tsukishima looks at the timers on the wrists of his two childhood friends. "Ah, still bothering with that crap, I see."

"Kei, it's not crap," (Y/N) puffs their cheeks out. "Aren't you ever interested in who your soulmate might be, and when you'll meet them?"

"Hm, not really."

"You live a sad, sad life."

Yamaguchi can't help but giggle at (Y/N)'s reaction. Oh how lucky he was to have them as a soulmate.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Late at night, Yamaguchi is up watching his timer tick down again, this time with excitement. I can't wait until (Y/N) finds out that we're soulmates. I bet they haven't even thought about that! He has a goofy grin on his face that won't melt away, no matter how hard he tried.

Every thought keeps going back to (Y/N), who he's had a huge crush on since they were kids.

"Tadashi, is there someone you're wishing is your soulmate?"

"Huh? What brings that up all of a sudden?"

"Well, I was looking at my timer and just wondering."

"I'm not sure, actually." The small, freckled boy can't bring himself to tell (Y/N) 'You! I hope you're my soulmate, (Y/N)!' He blushes, swinging his legs in the air while sitting on the park swing in between (Y/N) and Tsukishima. "What about you?"