#16: BOBBY RYAN - #9 OTTAWA SENATORS

"Hey babe, you ready to leave?" Bobby shouted from the living room. 

"Yup, ready to go." I called back to Bobby and slipped the cap to my lipstick. I popped the lipstick into my bag and looked myself over before making my way into the living room, to see Bobby standing in the middle of the room with the remote control in his hand and his focus on the TV. He caught me staring at him and laughed, his chuckle making me giggle.

"I just got to make sure it is set to record while we're away." He chuckled innocently and turned the TV off once the TV program is set to record.

Since playoffs have started and sadly all Canadian teams didn't make it, no team making it to a wildcard position, Ottawa has nothing here for us now. We made plan after plan, none of which satisfied us, and so Bobby brought up the idea to take us back to his hometown in New Jersey to spend our summer somewhere filled with family. I immediately agreed, finally excited to see the area where Bobby grew up and his family in their own home, I have met his parents before but that was when Bobby first came to Ottawa from Anaheim.

"Seven hour drive." I sighed to no one in particularity as I climbed into the car. Bobby chuckled as he got into the drivers side, his lips pressing against my cheek as he came closer.

"I'm ready." I chuckled kissing Bobby back on his cheek. He grinned cheekily at me and started the car. Bobby has opted to drive to New Jersey instead of flying, despite the flight is quicker than the drive. Bobby said he would rather drive seven hours with me in the car just hanging out like we normally do, than sit in on a plane with annoying people bothering him every two seconds and not having the freedom to talk freely with me. Trust Bobby to say something like that.

"Cherry Hill, New Jersey here we come!" Bobby cheered excitedly as he looked behind him to reverse out of the car park. I chuckled and leaned back to relax as we've a long drive ahead of us.

Seven hours together on the open road to America, what could possibly go wrong?

_ _ _ _ _

"How long is left?" I wondered turning my head to look at Bobby, my legs resting against the dash board in front of me and my hand in Bobby's that rests on his knee.

We've only been on the road for a few hours, but its felt like an eternity. Flying was the better option but I didn't want to tell Bobby I didn't want to spend seven hours in a car with him.

"About another four ho-" Bobby's answer is caught short when a weird clunking noise came from our car and then the unexpected shocked us.

"Bobby, what the heck was that?" I asked worriedly when the car jerked forward and came to at the side of the road, smoke began to raise out of the bonnet, and I stared wide eyed at building smoke in front of us.

Bobby cursed loudly at our current situation and hopped quickly out of the car. He pulled up the bonnet and cursed louder this time, more smoke escaping through the open bonnet. I took my seat-belt off and jumped out of the car, I rushed over to where Bobby is to see his face in so much agony. His hands on the back of his head as he started to pace up and down the side of the highway, mumbling incoherent words and continued to pace.

"Oh, God." I mumbled looking into the smoke filled bonnet. Even though I don't understand anything to do with cars, I know that our car is totally banjaxed. There is no way we are making it to New Jersey tonight.

"What happened?" I asked Bobby when he walked back to the car, he gave a deep sigh and sat on the gravel ground beside the car.

"I've no fucking clue." Bobby sighed leaning back against the car door.

"Well, this is great." I chuckled sarcastically and sat down beside Bobby, my head resting on his shoulder and he wrapped an arm over my shoulders.

"I guess I'll have to call a tow truck and see how much it'll cost to get this fixed, I don't think we're gonna make it to New Jersey tonight." Bobby said shaking his head. He sighed and pulled me closer to him, his chin resting on my head.

"I'm so sorry things didn't plan out the way it was suppose to." Bobby added wrapping his other arm around me and kissed my forehead. 

"It's OK Bobby, not everything can go according to plan. At least we're together and that's all that matters, I couldn't care if we had no money and were lost somewhere in Europe I would still be by your side because I love you a lot." I smiled sincerely looking up to Bobby with loving eyes. Bobby sighed deeply his gaze on me and ran his fingers through his hair, his demeanour becoming very nervous in seconds. He shuffled beside me trying to calm himself down, but it is no use and so Bobby took a deep breath before speaking what's on his mind.

"You know, I was going to save this and do this tomorrow at the family dinner, but I can't wait." Bobby sighed unraveling his arm off my shoulder and dug into his back pocket.

"Um, Bobby. What are you doing?" I wondered moving slightly away from him in worry. Many thoughts run through my head as Bobby's behaviour became really weird. Is he going to kill me here? Get rid of me so he doesn't have to deal with me anymore? But what happened next shocked me big time.

Bobby pulled out a small black velvet box and my heart stopped with my eyes widening and my mouth dropping in shock. is he proposing to me? Or is there a tiny knife in there that he has hidden and is using the velvet box as a way to hide it?

"Y/N, when I first met you all those years back I didn't think you could possibly be real. I mean you were so kind to me when we first met, not just because I am a hockey player but you didn't mind that I hit you in the eye and messed it up. After that day I've grown to love you and cherish you, you're not only my girlfriend but you are my best friend and I love that I can connect with you on so many levels. I'm rambling here, aren't I? What I'm trying to say here is that I love you so much and I want you to spend the rest of your life with me. Would you do the honours of making my life even better and marry me?" Bobby asked pouring his heart out. He got down on one knee and opened the box, inside is a beautiful diamond ring, a ring worth so much money and much more than my life.

"Omg, Bobby. Yes, a million times yes." I cried in happiness throwing my arms around his shoulders. Bobby sighed in relied and chuckled when he realized my arms around him, he soon wrapped his arms around me and held me close to him.

"I love you, I love you, I love you." Bobby smiled laying kiss all over my face before finally placing his lips on mine.

"This is probably worth more than what I'll make in my entire life." I chuckled when Bobby finally put the ring on my finger and I looked down at it in shock and happiness.

"You deserve it my love." Bobby told looking at me with loving eyes.

"I love you." I whispered leaning my forehead against Bobby's.

"I love you too." Bobby said as we sat in the middle of the highway, our backs leaning against the car doors and our gazes on the ring on my finger. Not caring that our car has broken down or that we sat on the side of the highway, all we cared about is our life together in the future as husband and wife.