#164 - Christian Djoos - #29 Washington Capitals

One year ago:

How do you tell your boyfriend of three years that you have been accepted into one of the top universities in America on a scholarship?

You don't. You leave it to the last minute.

You leave it to the night before you are supposed to leave for California.

I know I am stupid for literally leaving it to the last minute, but I can't bring myself to tell Christian. Every time I go to tell him, I get so caught in my time with Christian that I forget to tell him I am going to school on the other side of the country.

But here I stand watching him from the living room entrance, his back turned to me as he watches the TV. I hate to do this, I hate to tell the love of my life that I'm leaving him to go to university at Stanford, but it has to be done. It's now or I leave it to the minute I board the plane to California.

I take a deep breath before walking into the living room. Christian looks up from the TV when he heard me and sends a heart-warming smile in my direction, curse this man and his cuteness.

"What you watching?" I ask playing dumb, like I hadn't been watching him for the past 10 minutes debating whether or not I should come in.

"No idea." Christian chuckles wrapping an arm around my shoulder and pulls me close to him. I cuddle into him without a thought, knowing this could be the last time I get to spend with him like this for a while. I rest my head on his shoulder while Christian plays with my hair, his touch making me shiver.

We sit like this for a while, nothing but silence between us and it is comforting. We don't need to speak to know the love we give to each other, just being in that person's company is perfect enough for us. But I slowly watch the clock as it nears ten in the evening and with my flight at nine tomorrow morning, I must tell him now.

"Hey, Christian. Can I tell you something?" I say looking straight ahead, not wanting to look at Christian when I tell him this.

"Of course, what is it?" He replies, his finger tracing circles on my shoulder.

I inhale deeply, clearing the negativity from my thoughts, and tell him. "So you know how I've been working so hard to get the scholarship from Stanford?"

"Yeah." Christian says dragging out the words. Moving out of his hold, I keep my attention on the wall in front of me when I tell him.

"Well I found out months ago that I got the scholarship for Stanford, and I leave tomorrow for California." I feel Christian tighten beside me, his body completely rigid. It is a few minutes later when Christian finally speaks up.

"How long have you known?" He asks from beside me.

"About two months now." I tell sucking in my breath when Christian shoots up off the couch. He walks a few paces away from me before turning around to face me.

"Two months?! You've known for two months and you tell me the night before you leave? How could you? I thought we made a pack not to keep secrets from one another." Christian asks me, his voice sounding heartbroken that I kept this from him. The red rim around his eyes catches me off guard and I choke on my breath, a lump beginning to form my throat.

"I'm sorry, Christian. I should have told you when I found out,"

"Damn right, you should have." Christian interrupts me and rubs his face with the palms of his hands.

"I'm sorry! I was scared to tell you in case you became angry at me because I'm leaving." I protest pushing myself up from the couch and stand facing Christian.