#118 Marco Scandella - #6 Buffalo Sabres: Part One

"Ciao (Hello) Antonio." I smiled as my brother appeared on Skype, a little boy identical to Antonio ran into the living room and jumped up so that he could see his father who is located somewhere in Afghanistan.

"Ciao (Hello) guys, how's it going?" Antonio asked over the webcam, his camouflage uniform standing out. He is the army, over seas protecting his country and most importantly, his sons future.

"We're doing good here, just missing you a lot." I told giving my brother a sad smile, he returned the sad smile back to us. 

"Do you wanna tell your daddy where we are going tonight?" I spoke to Jacob to make the conversation more lively, he nodded vigorously his brown locks falling over his eyes.

"Papa, zia (aunt) Y/N and me are going to see a hockey game!" Jacob told excitedly, I could see the gleaming of happiness in his eyes as he spoke about seeing his first hockey game.

"That's great guys! Who are you going to see?" Antonio asked smiling at how happy his son looks.

"The Wild!" Jacob replied quickly with a huge grin on his face.

_ _ _ _ _

"Come zia (aunt) Y/N, we need to be there before warm ups." Jacob groaned pulling me through the crowds of the Minnesota Wild fans, I chuckled as I let the six year old pull me towards the entrance. 

"Rallenta (slow down) Jacob." I called after the little boy who continues to drag me through the hallway once we got into the arena. We finally made it to our seats just in time for the players to come onto the ice, Jacob clapped and hollered when he saw his favourite player, Marco Scandella, skate past us. I laughed as he banged the window and pulled out the sign he made before he left, it reads, 'Marco Scandella #6 is the best player!' I had never seen so much happiness in one kid when he made the sign, he hasn't been happy since his father was deployed again but today the sadness is gone and the happiness is there. 

"Zia (Aunt) look!" Jacob called over the music, he patted my arm and I look down at him. 

"What is is Jacob?" I asked him, he pointed over to the Wild's bench and he pointed at a certain player who is staring at us. Marco Scandella. Our eyes connected and I felt my cheeks heat up when he flashed a toothy grin at me, I looked back to Jacob who is smiling up at me.

"I think he saw my sign." Jacob giggled shaking his sign that he still had held against the plexiglass. 

"I'm sure he did." I nodded patting my hand on Jacob's shoulder. I sat down at mine and Jacob's seats and smiled as he banged the glass as players skated by, he got louder as Marco skated past us and smiled in my direction, again I felt my cheeks heat up when he smiled at me. The players began to head back to the dressing room and Jacob sighed as he sat down beside me, a little look of disappointment on his face as all he wanted was puck from his favourite player. 

"It's OK piccolo uomo (little man.)" I told pulling him in to my side and gave him a half hug.

_ _ _ _ _ 

The game came and went with the Wild winning against the Colorado Avalanche, Jacob had the time of his life as Marco scored the game winning goal, he cheered loud and proud when the goal went in and got even louder when he found out it was his favourite player who scored it. 

"Right, are you ready to go back home?" I asked as the game ended and the crowd vacated the building, Jacob nodded reluctantly. 

"Well you have to tell your papa all this when he Skype's with you tomorrow." I smiled when Jacob got off the seat.