#22: CONNOR MURPHY - #5 CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS

The door opened late into the early morning and heavy footsteps walked across the hardwood floor in the apartment. I didn't move from my spot at the kitchen table, my eyes focused on the empty chair in front of me. The dim light of the moon that beams in through the window only lights up the kitchen a little, but if he is to walk in here he would most definitely see me.

He walked in oblivious to me sitting there and walked over to the fridge, he opened it up and pulled out a carton of orange juice. He spun around and jumped in shock when he finally saw me sitting in silence.

"Y/N!" He exclaimed putting the lid back on the carton and sat it down on the counter.

"Two am this time, wow Connor." I seethed standing up and pushed the chair in, my eyes still burning holes into Connor's head.

"I can explain!" He defended putting his hands up before I could continue. The past week Connor has been coming home late into the mornings after all his games and I'm starting to wonder if he is cheating on me, but I don't think that Connor would ever do that to me after being together for so long.

"Is it the usual 'my car broke down' or 'the guys wanted to go out and I didn't want to be the odd one out' or how about my favourite one, 'I lost track of time'. So which one are you going to use tonight?" I asked folding my arms, guilt runs across Connor's face.

"I lost track of time." He mumbled shuffling his feet as he looks down at the ground. I rolled my eyes at his words.

"And we have a winner." I cheered sarcastically.

"I have a reason why!" Connor said his voice raising slightly, defending his case.

"Do tell." I nodded for him to continue.

"Wait here, OK." Connor told putting his hands up for me to stay and ran off down the hallway. I sat back down in the chair, my body fuming with anger as he ran away once again. Giving up on waiting, I stood up and walked out of the kitchen. As I turned the corner Connor walked into the apartment with a box in his hands, a grin prominent on his face as he stares down inside it.

"So this is what you were late for? A box." I spat crossing my arms. Connor looked up from the box his smile soon disappearing, a sad look now coming onto his face.

"Look." He said giving the box to me. I peered in and immediately I felt terrible about shouting at Connor, all the feelings of hatred disappeared and more feelings of love sprung in my heart for Connor. In the box sits a bunch of little kittens, at least five or six of them all crammed together with their cute little faces peering up at me.

"This is why I have been coming home so late. I found them on the side of the road a few nights ago and I've been going to them since then to make sure they are OK, but tonight there was a dog there trying to attack them and I couldn't let that happen. So I brought them home with me." Connor told taking the box back off me and stared lovingly into the box filled with kittens, a smile growing on his face when he looks at them.

"You're such a good person, I'm sorry for being so mean to you. If I had only known that you were doing this I wouldn't have thought all those stupid things I did." I admitted putting my hands into the box and lifted out a beautiful grey kitten with the most gorgeous blue eyes. I started walking towards our bedroom, my finger running across the kittens fur.

"What thing did you think I was doing?" Connor asked following me into our bedroom. I switched the light on and jumped onto the bed with Connor coming to sit next to me, Connor emptied the box of kittens out onto the bed and they ran around the both of us.

"I thought you were cheating on me." I mumbled stroking the little grey kitten in my hand, my eyes focused on the kitten in my hand and not wanting to look up at Connor.

"Really?" Connor said sounding a little shocked.

"Well you kinda were coming home late and you have been a little secretive." I admitted finally looking up and found Connor staring at me with a smile on his lips. He shook his head and leaned forward, his lips brushing against mine as he kisses me.

"I didn't know, I'm sorry for making you think that but I promise I'll never ever cheat on you. I love you far too much to even think about doing such a thing to you, and besides we've a family now." Connor grinned pulling one of the kittens up to his face and snuggled it close to him.

"Yeah, a family." I nodded hugging the grey one close to my body as well.

"I haven't named them yet, I thought maybe we could do that together." Connor suggested looking to me with hopeful eyes, I chuckled at how cute he looked with the kittens as they ran all over his body.

"Why not." I chuckled.

"I love you, I love you." Connor exclaimed leaning over and kissed my forehead.

"I love you too." I smiled kissing him. That night was spent playing with the kittens, Connor and I ended up falling asleep wrapped in each others arms with the kittens sleeping around us on our bed, and it wasn't the final time that happened.