#154 - Brian Billett - #41 Knoxville Ice Bears

I eyed up my best friend, Brian, as he paced around his small apartment for what felt like the hundredth time tonight. I watched carefully when he wiped his sweaty hands on the back of his suit pants, and then started to chew the inside of his mouth. Sensing his nervousness, I sighed and called his name which made him stop in his tracks.

"What's got you all nervous tonight?" I asked watching Brian take a seat on the couch beside me. He rested his elbows on his knees and lent his head into his hands, I sat my hand on the small of his back and gently rubbed it in comfort. 

"It's a big game tonight, make or break." Brian mumbled in his hands. I nodded and continued to rubbed his back. "I got to make this my game, I got to own the net and allow nothing in my net!" 

"Brian, I've known you since dippers, you're an amazing goalie and you are going to win this game. And I'll be in the crowd cheering you on, like I have since day one." I told reassuring the nervous wreck of a male beside me. 

"Ah." Brian sighed pushing himself up and paced the room again. I gave a frustrated sigh when I saw him begin to pace the small living room again, he rubbed his face with his hands and then moved them to his side. Having enough, I stood up and called Brian's name loudly.

 "Right, we're going to the arena now. Let's go before you start making skid marks on your floor from pacing too much." I said sternly grabbing his bag and pulled his arm. Brian chuckled under his breath when I yanked him out of his apartment, I stood waiting impatiently with his hockey bag over my shoulder while he locked his door. 

"Ready?" I asked when he turned around. Brian nodded and together we made our way down to his car. Once we were seated did Brian start the car, I rested my head on the headrest and let out a sigh in relief when Brian drove the car out of his parking lot. 

"Do you think we've time to stop off and grab a Starbucks?" Brian asked pulling up to a red light. I let out a laugh and looked at him, he turned at me and gave a smile that would make girls drop instantly, truthfully, I don't know how I am still standing after the countless times he has pulled it on me. 

"If you want to be late and possibly be destroyed by your coach? Sure, be my guest. But if it were me, I'd be at the arena now and getting focused if you say this game is 'make or break.'" I told sternly turning my attention onto the road when the light turned green. I heard Brian chuckle at my words and I saw his head shake a little.

"This is why we're best friends." Brian said with a smirk on his lips. Yes, just best friends, nothing else, I thought looking elsewhere but the male beside me. We spoke no more until we made it to the arena, I was first out of the car and had Brian's hockey bag already to go before he had even made his way out of the car.

"Are you eager to get rid of me?" Brian chuckled coming up beside me and took his bag off me.

"I'm eager to get to my seat and have a large bag of popcorn." I shot back bumping Brian's shoulder as he entered into the arena. One of the perks of having a hockey player as a best friend, you don't get caught up in the crowds before and after the game.

"Wow, I feel so attacked right now." Brian exclaimed grabbing his heart in mockery. I laughed loudly at his actions, which made Brian's smile grow wider. We stopped outside the home team's locker room and we went silent, Brian went back into his nervous state and I rested my hand on his shoulder.

"You got this." I said smiling reassuringly at him. I patted his at before walking away, I didn't get far before Brian called me back.

"What is it you need?" I asked walking back to him.

He shuffled his feet before looking up at me. "Remember when I had to play my first game for Ice Bears and I was seriously going crazy? Worrying about everything? And doing things that were so uncharacteristically me?"