#179 - Connor McDavid - #97 Edmonton Oilers

A/N: I do apologise for this imagine. It is over 6K long and cringy and bad, and just really weird. I don't know what happened, but as I developed it more it became weirder and longer than I expected it. So sorry for the length of it. 

24th June 2015.

It is no use trying to calm down Connor. He knows he is going first overall, the Edmonton Oilers management had told him yesterday that they are going to pick him first, and despite knowing this he is as nervous as ever.

I gently place my hand on top of Connor's knee in hopes to calm him down, my thumb rubs against his clothed knee. He looks at me sheepishly, the anxiety present in every part of his body. Connor sets his hand on top of mine, he squeezes it to make sure I am beside him. I will always be with Connor like I have been from day one.

"Why am I so nervous?" He asks as his knee continues to bounce due to his anxiety.

"This is a big moment for you, you are going to be number one overall to a team that needs your help desperately." I tell moving closer to him and rest my head against his shoulder. Connor chuckles at that.

"Edmonton." Connor whispers and shakes his head at the thought of him playing for the Oilers. "I am going to be playing for the team that some of the greatest players in the world have played for."

"And soon your name will be known world-wide as a player up there with the likes of Crosby, Gretzky, Howe." I say gently nudging his shoulder in encouragement. Connor smiles down at me, his lips press against mine and I kiss him back.

"You two better stop or a camera is going to catch you." Connor's father laughs beside him. I blush and hide my head in the crook of Connor's neck, Connor chuckles and wraps his arm around my shoulder.

As the minutes tick by with everyone getting ready and prepared for the draft to start, Connor's anxiety only seems to get worse. His eyes are wide as he stares down at the floor below him, his face is growing paler with every second that passes. I fear he is going to puke at any second all over me so I lean closer to him and whisper in his ear.

"Hold my hand." I say gently and only loud enough for him to hear. Connor wraps his hand around mine and jumps when the NHL commissioner comes out to start the draft lottery. Connor goes as white as he can, my poor boyfriend. As the commissioner continues to talk, I whisper soothing words into Connor's ear to calm him down.

"The first selection of the 2015 National Hockey League draft belongs to the Edmonton Oilers." Connor tenses up at the commissioner words, I gently rub my thumb against the back of his hand. It takes about a minute until Edmonton are ready and we watch as the management team walk onto the stage, Connor seems to start to calm down a little when he sees Peter Chiarelli walk over towards the microphone.

"First of all we would like to thank the city of Florida and the Florida Panthers organisation for being great hosts. We would also like to shout out to our fans at the draft party at the Rexall place." Peter says and Connor straightens in his seat, his hand grasping mine like his life depends on it.

"And with that being said, the Edmonton Oilers would like to select with their first round pick. From the Eire Otters, Connor McDavid." Cheers suddenly drown out everything else. I turn to Connor who, still looks nervous, is smiling down at me and masks his nervousness with his happiness.

"I love you." I smile kissing him, he grins into the kiss and then moves back. I stand back to let his mother hug him, she hugs onto him tightly and presses a kiss onto his cheek. He hugs his father next and the two talk before he lets go, he walks down the steps calmly and makes his way towards the stage.