#167: ARTEMI PANARIN - #10 NEW YORK RANGERS

Song: New by Daya.

To say that my world was turned upside down when the news broke of Artemi's trade to Columbus, is putting it lightly. My world shook, crumbled, and died in the space of five hours upon hearing the news. 

My day had started like any other weekday. I left the apartment on time, kissing Artemi goodbye and headed to work, my mind clear and happy with no worries in sight. Upon arriving to work, I got down to business not knowing that in a short few hours that I would be back at the apartment packing my stuff. Lunch arrived and I found myself sitting in the break room, my lunch in front of me and I scrolled through my twitter. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary and then the first message came through,

'Oh my gosh, don't tell me you're going to be moving with him to Columbus?'

I didn't know what my friend was talking about, I thought it was meant for another person because I knew I had no intentions on moving anywhere, Chicago became my home and I was set on living here until I decided it was time to go. And then another text came through, this time from Jana, a wife of one of the Blackhawk players.

'I am so sorry to hear what's happened, I wish you two the best of luck in Columbus.' 

And it was from that text did my interest peak at what's going on. I refreshed my twitter feed and then everything came flooding in at once, 

'Artemi Panarin has been traded to Columbus Blue Jackets.'

'Former Calder Trophy winner, Artemi Panarin, has been traded to Blue Jackets in return former Hawk, Brandon Saad.'

'Panarin traded for Saad, more to follow.' 

My mind shut down and nothing but fear and worry came to mind. I thought it was a joke someone was playing, I didn't believe it until I received a message from Artemi himself,

'Can you come home?'

I didn't think twice about it and left work, claiming there is a family emergency. I raced through the streets, people staring at me weirdly wondering what the heck this girl is doing running like hell down the streets. I came to our apartment and busted through the door, I doubled in two and caught my breath before walking further into the house. 

I found Artemi sitting on the couch, his head in his hands, his shoulders shaking and I knew the news has hit him hard. I rushed over to the couch, I dropped down beside him and brought him into my arms. Artemi sobbed into my lap, his cries wrecked our small apartment and my heart broke for him. I kept running my hand through his hair, my other hand tracing shapes on his arm to calm him down. Once he cried the last of his tears, he sat up and pushed his hair back. 

"What do I do?" He asked softly, his voice breaking as he fought back more tears.

"We take it one step at a time." I replied reaching forward for his hands, but he snatched them back and stood up. 

"No, no." He muttered moving around the room. 

"Arti, I know that this is unexpected and quite frankly shocking, but it isn't the end of the world." I told standing up to face the frustrated Russian.

"It is, Chicago my future. Now I go to Columbus, I don't know city. I'm lost." Artemi said. I saw him cruse at himself, his language barrier getting the better of him.

"Listen to me, Artemi. It is like starting all over again, like you did here in Chicago but instead in Columbus. I'll be there to help you, we'll do this together, and you won't be alone." I reassured moving towards him, but Artemi shook his head.

"Can't burden you, we break up." His words shook me to my core that I stumbled back onto the couch. His words replayed over my thoughts, words I thought I would never hear from him in the two years together. I regained my composure again, even though deep inside my core crumbles.