#74: ALEX WENNBERG - #10 COLUMBUS BLUE JACKETS

"Can't you leave during the second intermission? You could catch the last set if you make it in time." I sigh sadly as I ask Alex the question over the phone. Alex sends a soft sigh my way, but I already know the answer to my question.

"Babe, you know I can't leave. It wouldn't be ideal and Torts will bench me next game if I ask, I know I said I would come, but it looks like can't go." Alex tells and I can hear the sadness in his tone as he tells me.

It just so happens that a crucial game tonight for my volleyball team, Alex has a hockey game as well. I had asked Alex a few weeks ago to keep that night free or possibly ask his coach could he miss a game just so he could come watch me play. He said he would try his hardest to get that day off just to watch me play my sport like I do when it comes to his hockey games, but  I don't know whether I should be mad at him or disappointed? I know that hockey is his job, it's his life, and he has worked so hard to get where he is today. I know he loves hockey more than anything, hopefully not more than me, but I got so excited as he was finally getting to watch me play the spot I love like I watch him play his. And yet, that doesn't seem to be the case now.

"I know, I'm sorry for asking." I reply letting another sigh leave my lips. I sit down at my stall and lean back against it and wait for Alex's answer.

"I am so very sorry, baby. I'll try and come to the next game, OK?" Alex promises, though his tone of voice sounds very different.

"Yeah, I gotta go now. Coach is calling for me." I say lying to him. I close my eyes to ignore the tears that form in them.

"Good luck, darling. I am praying for you here and sending you all the luck in the world to you." Alex tells and I smile at his words.

"Good luck as well, I know you will play amazing tonight." I reply wiping my red eyes. Alex chuckles to me.

"I'll score a goal to make up from my missing your game, I love you." He says and I smile and shake my head at him.

"I love you too, now I do have to go. I will talk whenever I have finished." I tell standing up and turn back to my stall. We say our goodbye and when Alex's hangs up, I place my phone in my bag before making my way out onto the court.

"Girls!" Coach calls from the sidelines. I turn around and run over to her like the rest of my teammates do

"Pep talks are not my forte, but I know you girls will play brilliantly tonight as you have done all season. You girls have came together as one throughout the whole season and now this is our last chance to grab a playoff spot, whether we win or lose tonight just know I am very proud of every single one of you girls. Now lets go out and kick some ass." We cheer at coach's words and the starting lineup runs onto the court into our positions. Those not starting are sitting on the sidelines and cheer us on.

The whistle blows, the game begin and all thoughts of Alex disappear from my thoughts as I focus on winning this game.

- - - - - 

The first set ended and my team won that round by scoring 25-19, now we only have two more sets to win to grab the playoff spot.

Alex popped into my thoughts as the second set began. I swear I saw him walking into the arena just as the second set began, but I knew that my mind is only playing tricks on me because I miss him and want him here. He can't be here, he's playing against the Islanders tonight and couldn't get away from it.

I ignore the thoughts and focus on winning this game.

- - - - - 

The game is finally over and we won three sets to one. Unfortunately the other team had a comeback in the third set and won that, but we came through in the fourth set by winning a whopping 25-10. I wish Alex had been there to see it, we came out with our hearts on our sleeves and we won.

The team and I make our way into the dressing room designated for us and we celebrate loudly when we all get into the room. We have just booked our ticket to the playoffs. of course we are going to party hard tonight. 

As I change into my regular clothes, my name is called and I turn round to see Kelly standing in the door way with a smile on her lips.

"What is it?" I asks as I pull on my shoes.

"Someone is here to see you, they say it's very important that you come now." She says nodding her head towards the door. I look strangely at her and shrug it off as nothing as a fan wanting to get a photo or autograph.

Once I am dressed, I grab my bag and finally make my way out go out of the room. When I step out I come face to face with the familiar blond hair and tall, muscular build of my boyfriend. 

"Hey." He smiles at me. His hands are shoved down in his pockets as he bounces on the balls of his feet.

"Hi." I reply back with a giant smile on my lips. Alex walks over to me and wraps his muscular arms around my small frame, I instantly feel protected whenever he hugs me.

"I saw you play tonight, you're very good. Really good, puts me and my hockey to shame." Alex says giving me a complement and squeezes me tight in his arms.

"Thank you, but shouldn't you be at your game?" I ask looking up to him with a confused look to why he is here and not suited up in his hockey gear. Alex looks to the ground sheepishly and shuffles his feet.

"I didn't go, called in sick." He tells giving me a slight smile. "I just wanted to see my girlfriend and her team win, and I am glad I did because you played wonderful." 

"Well thank you, Mr. Wennberg." I smile looking up to him and press a kiss on his cheek.

"You do come to almost every game of mine, I have to make time for my girlfriend and come watch her play her volleyball." Alex tells wrapping an arm over my shoulders and pulls me in tight to him. I loop my arm around his waist and lean my head on his arm.

"So are we partying tonight? Cause I've a little surprise in store for you." Alex winks at me and flashes me a cheeky. I laugh at his remark and shake my head, I unravel my arms from him.

"You have a dirty mind." I chuckle linking my hand in his. 

"I can't help it, you're too beautiful. But those shorts you were wearing should be banned, they made your butt look huge." He grins at me and sends another cheeky smile my way.

"Alex!" I gasp in shock at his words. He laughs hard and loudly at my reactions, and presses a kiss against my forehead.

"Lets go, I want to take you to dinner in celebration." Alex tells leading me out of the building.

"No funny business mister or there will be no sex for a month." I tell sternly looking up to him with a pointed look, Alex laughs at me.

"Yes, ma'am." Alex says mocking a salute to me.

A/N: AH this is so bad, I'm sorry! CarolG14 

-Lauryn