#153 - Auston Matthews - #34 Toronto Maple Leafs

I carefully placed my foot on top of the ladder and pushed myself up to stand on the top step, my hand placed against the wall to steady myself from toppling over and falling down. Gently, I leaned down and dipped the paint brush into the bright green paint before using the brush to paint the wall. I lost track of time while I painted the wall of the nursery green, and oblivious to  hearing Auston calling my name once he came back from hockey practice.

"Y/N?" Auston asked peaking his head into the room. I jumped at his voice and wobbled unsteadily on the ladder, I relaxed when I felt the strong hands of Auston rest against the small of my back.

"You scared me." I chuckled setting the paint brush back in the paint tray and turned around to face the stern glare of Auston. 

"What?" I asked stepping down the ladder with the help of Auston. Once I set my foot on solid ground again, Auston rested his arms across his chest. 

"You were told by the doctor to do absolutely no work now as the date is getting closer, any day now and he or she will come." Auston sighed his sternness lifting and softness filled his eyes when he looked down to my stomach that is ready to burst any second.

"But I'm bored sitting around doing nothing." I whined putting my hand on my lower back as a little twinge shot through my stomach like it had been all morning. 

"You need to relax, love. Once this one is born, we've got our hands full." Auston said winking cheekily at me. I chuckled at his cheekiness and followed him out into the living room.

"We've a while yet, couple more days." I told sitting down on the couch. Auston grinned at me before disappearing, another twinge hit my body and I shifted uncomfortably in the chair until the pain disappeared.

"OK, I don't want you to get mad, but I couldn't resist." Auston called from the bedroom, his words making me confused. He reappeared a couple seconds later, a huge smile on his lips and his hands behind his back. 

"What did you do?" I asked laughing at his eagerness. Auston pulled his hands out from behind his back and in his hands, he held a tiny Maple Leafs jersey with the #34 and his name on the back. 

"I saw it when I was leaving the arena and I just had to get buy it for the baby." Auston told sitting down beside me, but instantly shot back up and looked at the couch.

"What?" I asked worriedly as I watched him feel the couch where he sat and then looked up at me. His eyes shinning bright with happiness and a huge grin plastered across his lips, I looked at him with wide eyes as I waited for him to speak.

"Either you've wet yourself on accident or your waters have broke and baby Matthews is coming today." Auston spoke unable to contain his excitement. I gasped and put my hand on my large stomach and looked to Auston, who was staring back at me with his mouth slightly ajar at the thought of us meeting our child today.

"Oh." I gasped when another pain shot through my stomach. I let out a laugh in disbelief, my eyes wide. "I think you're right, baby Matthews is coming today."

"Yes! OK, where is the overnight bag?" Auston asked jumping in the spot and dropped the jersey on my lap before rushing off to find the bag. I picked up the little jersey and grinned at it, before another contraction interrupted my thoughts.

"OK, OK, little one. We're going." I smiled speaking to my stomach. Auston entered the room again with the bag slung over his shoulder and the car seat in his hand.

"I think we've got everything in the bag that we need, I've got the car keys here." Auston told shaking the keys in his hands and walked over to me. "Now, we just got to get to the hospital to have this little one out."

"Preferably  soon, please." I said grasping onto Auston's hand as we made our way out of the apartment and to the car. 

_ _ _ _ _ 

I felt my eyes slowly open and I had realized I fell asleep after giving birth via the c-section. I wiggled a little to wake myself up, opening my eyes I saw Auston asleep next to me with his head resting against my lap. I smiled to myself as I ran my hand through his brown locks, Auston stirred in his sleep and soon raised his head. He grinned widely at me before leaning forward to press his lips against mine, his smile never faltering. 

"You did so well, I'm so proud." Auston told once he broke the kiss. 

"Really? It was all sort of a blur to me." I chuckled, clutching my stomach as it hurt. Auston looked worriedly at me as my face contorted in pain, but I shook my hand in dismissal.

"Never the less, I'll go see if we can introduce our son to his mummy." Auston grinned grabbing hold of my hand. 

"We've a son?" I breathed out in disbelief. Auston nodded and leaned forward to press his lips against my forehead, he leaned back and stood up. 

"I'll go see if we can bring him in." Auston announced heading out the door. I leaned back and grinned widely at the thought of having a child of my own to love and protect. A few minutes on my own, I heard the door open and Auston walked in carefully holding our son close to his body.

"Hey, this is your mummy and she loves you just as much as I love you, and that's a lot of love you got here buddy." Auston cooed sitting down beside me on the bed when I shifted over to let him. Auston gently put our son in my arms and my smile got wider, the little face staring up at me with the bright brown eyes like Auston's.

"We made this?" I whispered looking up to Auston who was looking down at me.

"We sure did and I couldn't be any happier." He said leaning forward and pressed his lips against my forehead before resting his head on mine.

"What do we name him?" I asked leaning back against Auston's chest. 

"How about, Atticus? After your grandfather?" Auston suggested running his hand through my hair, I felt myself relax a little at his touch.

"I like it. Atticus James Matthews." I muttered holding Atticus' small hand in my index finger. 

"I love it, just like I love you." Auston said pressing his lips against my hair and then rested his chin against my head, his hand holding mine as we both hold our son together.

A/N: Can it be October already, please? I'm growing a little bored of not having any hockey to watch and it's torture.

Anyways, this is really bad, but I hope you guys enjoy it. Hopefully I'll have a new update soon.

-Lauryn.