29

"How's work going?" I ask my father, because I am unable to focus on my book. It’s like all of a sudden the font is too small. 

He looks shocked at my inquiry but quickly recovers. "Alright," he says. "Lots of DUIs. I mean, really. Can't people be smart enough to know not to drink and drive? For the love of God."

I nod. "I hear you."

"There's a string of robberies happening on the upper east side, so be careful if you go up there. We still haven't found the suspect." I know my father could go on and on about his job, so I involuntarily tune him out.

An hour later, we finally pull up to our old lake house overlooking the water. I practically jump out of the car and race to the bank, tearing off my shoes and sticking my feet in the water. Correction, I may or may not have jumped into the lake soaking my clothes.

"I can't believe you didn't sell this place," I say to my father as he joins me.

He shrugs. "Didn't seem right to. And with a few renovations, we could get it back into shape."

I look up at the old house. It's a great house. We've had the roof fixed countless times, and one summer the air conditioner broke, but we love it all the same.

"We'd better get inside. The sun's setting soon," my father says.

I look up at the horizon and see that he's right. The sun is turning orange and lazily sinking toward the lake.

I drag my suitcase into my old room and sigh. The white wooden bed has the same pink sheets on it, and the matching bureau still has the crack in the mirror where I threw my shoe at it when I was six. I threw my shoe because my mother wouldn't let me have any cake before dinner. I smile at the memory.

"You settling in okay?" My father asks from the doorway.

"Perfectly," I answer.

He smiles before walking out; turning into his own room he used to share with mum. "I'll begin dinner," he calls.

"Alright," I answer.

I flop down onto my bed and look out the window at the lake, enjoying the pristine view of the blue water and white sand.

Harry's POV

I throw my phone onto my bed, running a hand through my hair. Another call Blair doesn't pick up. Where could she be? She said she was busy, but what the hell does that mean? She's never busy.

She's at work. That has to be it.

Quit worrying, you prick, I tell myself as I walk into the bathroom to splash water on my face. Blair's fine. She's always fine.

I've never worried over someone so much before. Well, I've always worried about Blair, since we were kids, really. But no one else.

My phone rings and I lunge for it, answering it immediately.

"Hello?"

"Harry, get your ass over here. You're late," Ashley snaps.

"I'm not coming over," I retort.

"Yes you are. If you're not here in fifteen minutes I'm coming over there."

I roll my eyes at Ashley as I hang up. 

My eye catches on something in the bathroom. I get up from my bed and walk into the bathroom, curious. It's a bottle of pills. I don't recognize it at first as I pick it up to read the label. 

My heart drops.

They're antidepressants.

Blair's antidepressants.

Shit, she must have left them here when she spend the night! I smack my palm to my forehead, grabbing my phone.

"Blair," I say into my phone when I get her voicemail yet again. "You left your pills here. Come by and get them...I'm worried. If this is some kind of fucking joke, it isn't fucking funny." I hang up, my heart pounding. Should I try calling her dad? No. She probably has an extra bottle...right? Of course. She's Blair. She prepares for everything.

I lay down on my bed and put my head in my hands. If Blair isn't worried, I won't be. I inhale and exhale slowly, calming myself.

"Harry!" Someone calls from downstairs. I groan. Ashley wasn't kidding.

I drag myself downstairs to find Luke, Zayn, and Ashley setting up drinks on my kitchen counter. Jane follows close behind, tossing her hair.

"What the fuck are you doing?" I ask them.

"Luke's air conditioning broke," Ashley says, sitting on the counter, her legs dangling. "It's like the fucking Sahara desert in there."

"Thank Jesus yours is working," Jane sighs, fanning herself dramatically.

"I don't want to have the party here," I snap.

"Relax, no one else is coming," Zayn says. "Perrie's bartending tonight and Penny's busy with some guy."

"Of course," Luke smirks. 

"What's that?" Jane asks, her eyes narrowing. She points to my hand.

I look down in alarm and realize I'm still holding Blair's antidepressants. Shit!

"Nothing," I snap, backing away as she advances on me, her multicolored gaze taunting.

She backs me against a wall and snatches the bottle from me, reading the label rapidly.

"Antidepressants?" She sneers.

I look away.

"What the fuck?" Luke asks. "Mate, is there something you're not telling us?"

"No," I say quickly. "They're not mine."

"Then who's are they?" Jane almost laughs.

I avoid her gaze.

She parts her lips in realization. "No fucking way," she whispers.

I give her a dangerous stare. "If you fucking tell anyone I'll--" My voice is too low for the others to hear.

Jane purses her lips. "Oh, Harry, you needn't worry. This little secret is safe with me." She presses the bottle back into my palm and saunters back to the others.

I lock my jaw. I know it won't be safe for long.

(vote and comment! xx)