46

Sorry for the chapter mix up guys, we're at school

"Come on, Harry," I groan into the phone three nights later. "You promised."

Harry curses under his breath. "I don't want to have to have a civilized dinner with fucking Louis--"

"It's just one dinner," I say. "And I'll be there, as well as the rest of my family. It won't be so bad."

Harry sighs. "Fine. I'll be over at six.

I grin. "Yay!"

I put my phone down and smirk at Lottie. "I told you he'd listen to me," I say to her.

She shrugs. "Could've fooled me." She throws her own phone onto the bed and looks at me. "Now," she says. "What are we going to wear?"

I dig through my closet and pull out a dress with a lace bodice and navy skirt. Lottie nods in approval and I slip it on. I tie my hair back with my mother's ribbon and swipe on eyeliner and blush. I tint my lips pink.

Lottie stares at me. "You look amazing, Blair," she compliments.

"Thanks," I say, grinning. "So do you."

She wears a sunny yellow dress with her hair swept into a braid. She scoffs humorously and I laugh.

I go downstairs to see if I can help Jay with dinner.

She smiles at me when I walk into the kitchen. She wears a black dress with a scoop neckline and a turqouise necklace.

"Is there anything I can help you with?" I ask her.

"Well, I have chicken that needs seasoning over there...or you could mash the potatoes. Take your pick."

I smile. "Potatoes, please."

She grins and hands me the bowl and masher. I mash away, careful not to get any potato on my dress.

"Blair, you look really beautiful," Jay muses as she marinates the chicken breast in different herbs.

I blush. "Thank you."

"I think it's the ribbon in your hair. It was your mother's, yes?"

I nod.

Jay purses her lips. "I never met her," she says softly. "But from the photos...you look just like her."

I stop mashing the potatoes abruptly. I train my eyes on Jay. "That actually means a lot," I say. "Thank you."

Jay looks up from the chicken. "Blair, I know I'll never replace your mother," she says quietly. "But I hope you know that if you ever need anything, anything at all, I'm here for you."

I bite my lip. "Thank you, Jay," I say. "I...I'm glad you're here."

Jay's eyes brim with happy tears and she engulfs me in a hug, her musk perfume tickling my senses. I know that she'll never be my mother, but right now, she's the closest thing I've got and I'm grateful for all of her efforts.

Jay pulls away and wipes her eyes quickly, turning back to the chicken. "Can't get my salty tears in the food, can I?" She laughs.

I chuckle with her, continuing to mash the potatoes.

Six o'clock rolls around and I hear the doorbell ring. I have no idea how Harry's going to act at dinner. I hope he'll be the playful Harry that I love and not guarded because of Louis' presence.

I throw open the door, a smile etched on my face. I take a step back when I see Harry.

He looks almost completely different. He still wears tight, dark jeans, but instead of his usual assorted colored and band t-shirts, he wears a crisp white button down. He shoots me half smile and puts his hands in his pockets.