41

"Hello?"

"Blair, where are you?"

"I'm at work, Harry. What do you need?"

"I don't need anything." Great. He's fussy.

"Alright, then what do you want?"

He sighs. "I don't know."

"Then why did you call?"

"I...don't know."

"Okay." I pause. "You're acting kind of strange, Harry, is everything okay?"

"Can you come over after work?"

"Yeah, sure. I get off at six, though."

"That's fine."

I chew on my lip. "Harry...are you sure everything's alright?"

"Uh..." He clears his throat. "I, uh...felt bad about how we parted ways the other day...and I...uh...missyou." He says the end rushed, almost as if he's embarrassed.

"What was that?" 

"I...Imissyou."

"Harry, I don't understand what you're saying--"

"I miss you!" He finally exclaims clearly.

I laugh. "Harry."

"Stop laughing."

"Sorry." I hear someone clear their throat and I look over to see Shawn motioning for me to get off the phone. I sigh. "Harry, I need to go. I'll see you after work, alright?"

"Okay."

I put down my phone and look at Shawn. "Sorry," I apologize.

"It's alright," he says, sliding a stack of books toward me. "But no talking on the job, for future reference."

"No...talking."

"Yep."

"So I can't...speak." Liam tries to hide his laughter next to me.

"Nope."

"At all."

"Blair, how much clarification do you need?"

"I have to be quiet at all times, then," I say slowly, raising my eyebrows.

Shawn finally understands, rolling his eyes. "No talking on the phone," he clarifies. "Alphabetize these, you two. I got the register," he says to Liam and I.

Liam and I divide the books evenly, walking among the shelves to put them away.

"I'm sorry, but that was hilarious," Liam says.

I chuckle. "He's a great boss, but sometimes he's just not that...receptive." Liam and I laugh.

"I can hear you kids!" Shawn warns from the register. 

We laugh again.

"So, Blair," Liam says. "Your month for the late shifts is approaching."

I groan. "Great. I can't wait to spend my nights in an empty bookstore."

Liam chuckles. "It's really not as bad as you would think," he says. "And if you want I could stay with you. It's not bad if you have someone to talk to."

I smile. "Thanks, Liam," I say. "I'll owe you one."

I move to put away a book by the front window. I casually glance outside, looking at the world beyond. My eye catches on a familiar black car.