Part 3

My jaw dropped. Disbelief flashed through me at a million miles an hour.

Who would want me? When was I leaving? How in the world did I make a good impression on someone? Why the hell would someone want me?

"Max. Did you hear me?"

"I-......."

"Max?"

I said nothing. Still trying to process the fact that someone actually picked me.

Most likely sensing my state of shock, Patty continued on for me."Do you want to know who adopted you?"

I looked away from the door that leads out to the office. The door that only the kids who get adopted get to go out of. The door that I get to go out. I moved my gaze to Pats, and relaxed as I looked into her happy tear filled eyes.

"Y-yes." I stuttered out. I was in complete shock. No one has ever wanted me. How could anyone want me now? I'm sixteen. I already took my first steps, said my first words, I've already done almost every first there is to do. And the only person who witnessed them all was Pat.

PAT! Oh my god! Would I ever see Pat again? She must have seen the panic on my face, cause she started using her soft motherly voice.

"Max? Max are you okay? What's wrong? I thought this is what you wanted?" She got up out of her seat, rounded the table, and started rubbing my back just like old times. And I knew for a fact no matter how much I try and deny it. I would miss Pat with all my heart. She was the only mother figure I've ever had. 

What would my new mother be? Would she show me as much love as Pat did? Would she still let me play soccer? Would she come to my games? Would she ever be able to measure up to Pat? 

Probably not.

I jumped out of the chair, and put my arms around her neck. I was never the touchy feely type. But with Pat I would always make an exception.  Pat tensed, I never was the one who instigated any hugging ever. She's always been the first to offer any physical contact and even then I wouldn't always reciprocate. 

But knowing that this maybe the last time I ever see her. There was no way I would leave without one last hug from her. I almost started crying when she wrapped her arms around me. Key word here people. Almost.

"Max. Whats wrong?" Pat asked starting to rub my back again.

"Am I ever going to see you again?" I mumbled into her shoulder. 

Pat sighed. "That's what I need to talk to you about."

Oh shit. I was never going to see her again! I was going to lose the one person that was always there for me. Yeah I would get a new mother, but she would never measure up to Pat. And I knew that everyone leaves at some point, and that eventually I'd have to say goodbye to Pat once I turned eighteen anyway. But Pat!?

 I always thought she would be with me. But now she is leaving too. She is breaking her promise. I should have never trusted her. I let go of her, and pushed away. My shocked elatedness, turning into straight betrayal. I thought she was different from everyone else. But no. She was just the same.

I felt the fire roaring behind my eyes as I glared daggers at the women in front of me.

Patty's perfectly trimmed eyebrows, fell into a V shape. Causing wrinkles to appear on her forehead. "Max. I-" I didn't let her finish.

"Your leaving me." I accused her, glaring straight into her wide brown eyes. I wasn't about to let her see how much her betrayal affected me. 

"No Max I'm not." I didn't believe her.

She tried to close the gap that I created between us, but I stepped back. I was to busy building the cage that would ensure my heart would never take another blow like this again. 

"Stop lying to me!" I warned, practically growled at her as I slammed my hand on the table, hearing a loud crack. I didn't even look down at the table. Already knowing I had made a hug crack in the bowed wood. But I didn't care. I was done with trusting people. No matter what they did or how long they stuck around for, I was replaceable to everyone. 

My threat seemed to hit a spot with Pat. Cause the next thing I knew, Pat exploded.  Her face went a deep red, both her eyes gone completely black. I'd never seen this side of Patty, and if I wasn't so prideful I would of admitted that fear ran through my veins. 

Grabbing both my wrist in a death grip Patty glared down at me. "Now you listen to me Maxie!" She spit out. Her rage was so deep that her body started shaking, and the voice that she spoke with, wasn't one I'd ever heard from her. "If you would have just sat down and listened like a good girl, we wouldn't be in this situation right now." 

I didn't even open my mouth to comment on the "good girl" part. 

"So before you start throwing a fucking tantrum like a four year old. Listen to the information that I'm about to tell you, then react. But don't start assuming you know everything when you know nothing." She full on animal growled at me. A deep, threatening growl that caused a shiver to run down my spine, I couldn't even meet her eyes. "Now, will you listen?" Her gripped relaxed on my wrist. All I could do was nod as I continued to stare at the white titled floor.

"Good. Now sit" She said as she let my wrists go completely.

I walked around her and sat in the chair again. Only this time with my head bowed out of embarrassment. Remembering the last time, Patty had to put me in my place, when I was twelve. But never was she this intense. 

Sitting back down in the plastic chair across from her, I waited and listened as she took a deep breath before beginning her speech. 

"As I've already told you, you've been adopted." I didn't even bother to look up, but instead just nodded. Still mentally constructing the cage. "Now before you freak out again, the family who is  adopting you isn't one of the ones you've  had an interview with." I meet her gaze at this moment. Surprised and worried by this information. 

I have never heard of someone being adopted without meeting the family first. In fact, this was a big red flag.  

How did they know about me? Why would they adopted me without meeting me? I don't know how to act. I don't know if I want to be adopted by them. I mean if Patty sat it up, then I should trust that they're good people right? But was Patty trustworthy? 

Come on Max, you know she is.

I waited in silence. Knowing that I need to hear her our before I react. Though that didn't stop the millions of questions from flying through my mind, or the worry and fear from sinking in with every passing second.

Pat looked at me with a loving smile and warm eyes. "Its me Max. I adopted you."