Part 4

"What?" I tried to process the information. I really did. But my brain just couldn't understand it. 

"I'm adopting you Max." Pat said with the biggest smile I have ever seen on her face.

"Your....what....why...now.....you!" My heart was racing a thousand miles an hour. Was this really happening? Was this supposed to be some fucked up joke?

Pat started giggling at my moment of shock. "Yes Max. I'm adopting you. Unless you'd like to keep trying for another family. I'd unders-" 

"NO!" I couldn't let her finish that sentence. I didn't want to try for another family, I didn't want to wait around for someone that wasn't going to show up. Patty was it. Not just cause she was the only one wanting to adopt me. But because, no one would ever measure up to her. I wanted Patty, and I was so relieved that she wanted me. " But what about....what about your husband, and your kids? What if they don't like me?" The thought came flying out before I even had time to process it. 

What if they didn't like me? I don't want to get a taste of happiness and then have to come back to hell just because one of her kids or worse her husband doesn't like me.

"Oh please Ben has always wanted too meet you. It wasn't just me that got you and Tyler those phones, Ben has also been pitching in on your soccer. He knows just about everything.  When I brought making you apart of the family he was all for it. I asked all the girls and they are all for having another sister. Claire loves hearing stories about you. And the boy's were excited to have a girl their age that they can tease. Everyone's on board Max, I talked to the whole pack. Everyone's on board."

I couldn't believe it. This was all to good to be true, there had to be a catch, a punch line, something!

"But do you want this Max? Do you really want to become apart of a family? I know we talked a lot about you leaving here when you turned 18. And we can still work towards that goal if you want. This is all up to you too. You can come meet the family, and if you don't feel it's a great fit, then I'd understand and I'll bring you back." 

I watched her closely. Her hands folded in a professional way, her eyes sincere and serious at the same time. Her body tense as she awaited my answer. She didn't try to rush me. She meant every word she said. This decision was truly up to me.

I tried to ignore the warm fuzzy feeling that was building up in my chest, cracking my developing cage. But I couldn't. I don't know what this feeling is. But I already know that I didn't want it to go away. Just like I know I didn't want to ever have to leave Pat.

"What do you think Max?" I could tell she was just as anxious as I was.

I looked her over once more. I knew she wasn't lying about her talking with her family.And I knew that she would care for me as if I was her own. She was already a mother to me. And even though I have never met anyone from her family. I didn't know for sure if something were to happen between me and one of her kids that she would truly stick with me. But I had to trust that she wouldn't just drop me to the side once she was done with me. I wanted a chance to be apart of a real family, and if I didn't like it I'd just have Pat bring me back. 

I didn't want to be 18 wondering the streets wondering what a family would of been like. This was my only chance to experience what a home would really be like. And I had to take it. No matter how scared I was. I had to do this.  

"When do we leave?" I breathed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After filling out four hours worth of paperwork, a hot as hell thirty minute drive in her 2003 Chevy Malibu and another three hours waiting for the court, I was finally adopted. And I couldn't be more nervous. Walking back towards Patty's car, I couldn't take my eyes off the official document in my hand. The one document that I thought I'd never see let alone hold.