Chapter Twenty-Seven

Even for Immortal beings
Immortality comes with a price...
..
"Thanks for giving me a ride home igaraishi san"
"It's no big deal, well I'm off then"
Igaraishi started his bike and drove off while Austin headed to his house and unlocked the door, ever since his fever, his mother had given him a spare key to the house considering both parents were working people.
"I'm home" Austin came in rather cheerfully then he left.
Aurora didn't seem to be home yet, perhaps she was in the same traffic jam that forced Austin to ride Igaraishi's bike instead of taking a cab. However, Takahashi came out to greet him.
"You're home early" Austin said taking of his bag and placing it on couch having rei rei rush to him to have a pat or two.
"You look cheerful" Takahashi replied, he had been working as a nurse back in US but here he had decided to work as a cook in a restaurant.
"Yeah..just a friend made my day today" Austin replied taking off his shoes.
The two became silent for a little, they both had a little atmosphere of in comfortability amongst them for a while now.
"Austin..."
"I'll go upstairs and rest" Austin replied before Takahashi could continue.
"Um...okay...should i make you something to eat, your mom's probably going to be late" Takahashi couldn't really face him.
"Sure.."
....
"Ahhhh i hate traffic jams!!" Tsubaki whined over pressing the horn causing a ruckus.
"Tsubaki san i beg of you to stop it!" Akihito yelled sitting next to her with a fastened seat belt though it looked more like tied on him rather than simply fastened.
"Ah shutup" tsubaki rested her forehead on the horn causing it to become more noisier than before.
"Moreover I've been trying to tell you your brother left the car for a while now!" Akihito yelled
"Uwaaaah where'd niichan go!" She suddenly realized that he was missing from the backseat in the middle of a traffic jam.
"Why am i even here?!!!" Akihito tried to break free from the tied seat belt with stream of tears knowing very well something bad was too happen.
"Oh it's because I'm taking you to my home" she cheerfully removed her forehead from the horn.
"But why!??"
"Ah akihito kun , you know I'm a medical student right?"
"I...do....so?"
"Well recently I've been having problems in getting concepts of human analogy..well sure i get the female analogy and all but the other way around is pretty tough" Tsubaki replied.
"A..A...A.nd..?" Akihito gulped.
She grinned
"You're going to be my study material so be a good boy when we get home and show me all you got under those damn clothes!"
RIP Akihito.
...
Austin changed his uniform after a shower and came out sitting on his bed looking at the closet thinking how it won't surprise him anymore if it were to suddenly open again. But it was true that there were many things he didn't understand yet....
"I'm coming in.." Takahashi knocked and came in with a food tray.
Austin who was staring at the closet got distracted by his dad "ah..thankyou for the food"
Takahashi placed it on bed and sat in front of Austin too who started eating.
Both were utterly silent till Takahashi spoke up
"How is asuza kun?"
"Dunno he isn't talking to me"
"Oh...um.."
They both became silent again.
"Hey dad, if you start looking any younger you'd look like my younger brother" Austin replied looking at Takahashi.
"Ah yeah...I'm sorry"
"That's holy water story was fake wasn't it?"
Austin asked but Takahashi couldn't give much of an answer so he just nodded.
"You don't have questions?" Takahashi asked after a pause.
"I don't know where to start obviously" Austin replied not looking at his father rather the reflection of him in water.
"So..."
"I might not like what i hear is why i don't want to question"
"Is that so.."
"But keeping myself in dark is sign of weakness isn't it.."
"If you say so.."
"For one thing I'm sure of is I'm not human, neither is Asuza nor you"
"That's not it, Me , Asuza, Tsubaki and Yuna aren't but you are human"
"Huh?"
"Your mother is human and so are you"
This response did surprise Austin he sort of expected his mum was non human too.
"So..what are we?"
"Austin have you ever heard of an old myth, that a snake who has lived a 100 years becomes human?"
"Eh really?"
"That's half of it, if such snakes existed for such a long time they practically become immortal beings and moreover their offsprings would be similar as well"
"Are you saying we're snakes who lived that long?"
"No, we don't know if that myth is true its just what we're told..just as humans can't say for certain how they were born, we aren't sure either from where our existence began from.."
"Ne dad.. What happened between you and Asuza, you slapped him didn't you?"
That silenced Takahashi for quite a while
"Back.. Then..he protected me, even when those things attacked us he wanted me to escape and he staked his life for it.."
Austin fiddled with his thumbs.
"Yeah that was sort of weird, i can understand they would want to eat you but why Asuza when he's a vivei"
Takahashi responded thoughtfully.
"Eh what do you mean? Also what were those?" Austin raised a brow.
"You see all our kind is not the same, there are sai and vivei, if you take it in a kinky way then sai are submissive and vivei are dominant but let's talk more ability wise.."
Austin blushed a little hearing about that while Takahashi took a nearby notepad and drew two round shapes writing sai in one and vive in the other.
"Both are immortals and can use various similar combat techniques "
"Then why are they named different?"
"You see as a rule of nature we live in sai-vivei couples, but there are often those who are different and are seen as for example vivei-vivei or sai-sai couples.. They are often looked down upon since they go against the 'natural' of our race, gender doesn't matter in our race so if there are two woman in a relationship and one is sai, the other is vivei it's perfectly fine but if both are sai or both are vivei then it's considered an abomination.."
Takahashi drew it all in a funny way while explaining.
"Whoa so in short you mean there's homo-category discrimination" Austin raised a hand.
"Well yeah you can say that but i don't really care, i'm open minded plus me being with a human woman is a taboo in itself.." Takahashi sighed.
"Whoa so you and mom are like romeo and Juliet?" Austin interrupted again.
"Stop reading too much smut kid" Takahashi facepalmed.
"But dad it's not smut it's Shakespeare!" Austin replied.
"I always found that dude creepy" Takahashi almost got goosebumps thinking about Shakespeare.
"Sai and vivei you say..."
"Well vivei's by nature are protective of their partners , a vivei's grudge is feared since they only tend to fall in love once it might not be same for sai and if by chance their partner is killed they would find the killer to the last corner of earth and murder them in worst possible way before suicide" Takahashi explained.
"Whoa whoa hold it, didn't you say immortal somewhere ?" Austin interrupted again.
"Immortal by age, but there are ways.. Easiest way to kill a sai is to eat them and that happens alot..for a vivei, they can be only killed by their own venom so driving them to suicide is only way to kill them" Takahashi noted it under the bubbles he drew.
"So they are immortal but not really immortal..?" Austin tried to understand.
"You can say that, moreover there is a difference in their immortality" Takahashi frowned a little.
"Immortality?"
"Sai become immortal by sucking in energy of vivei, which is sort of sexual in nature this keeps them youthful.. there is also a power difference with that energy..the more energy you receive the more powerful you get" Takahashi clenched on his thighs a little.
"And vivei's?"
"They eat themselves after every 10years and regenerate, it's pretty painful but that's why they have more endurance... Though there are some who hunt on sai's just as you saw earlier and perform cannibalism to regain youth and power which normally gives them more power than eating themselves..they usually go for sai's that are not marked by a vivei's scent because having a vivei after them for revenge is dangerous "
"What if they do none and live on instead..?" Austin questioned.
"Then they become humans...normal humans just like i was until now..after 10 years without feeding you slowly start to turn into human and aging process begins..." Takahashi replied but then Austin realized how his father looked younger than before.
"Did..you...eat someone..."
"No! I'm a sai..so are you.."
"Di..d you...cheat...on mom..?"
"No!" Takahashi bent his head and clenched his teeth "i would never cheat on the woman i love!"
Austin didn't answer, he wasn't able to trust his dad just with that considering he hid a load amount of things earlier.
"I would never..." Tears started streaming down Takahashi's eyes while he rubbed his eyes like a child.
"Eh dad..don't..." Austin's doubt started to melt away with those tears, he had long known his dad's love for his mom
That sort of love can never be fake, so he put arms around his dad calming him.
Indeed,
Even for Immortal beings
Immortality comes with a price...