Chapter 32.

Zayn.

I shuffled around in the hospital bed, wakening up from a deep sleep. Harry was waiting patiently by my side, his eyes wondering over the dark corridor of the hospital. I looked at the clock which read 12.05am and when I turned round again, Harry was staring at me. He was silent for a second, giving me an intense look.

"You never left." I stated and a smirk crept on his lips. "You never asked me too." Harry replied simply and my eyes fluttered a little. "How are you?" He questioned, still holding that same intense give. Just at the thought, I started to move around a little but the pain searing through my body made it unnameable. I started to whimper and Harry stood up, his hands holding my wrists down to keep me as still as possible. "Babe, don't move. It'll only make it worst." Harry's voice cracked at the end and it was only then that I realised how hurt he was.

My breathing became even as Harry stared at me and when I stopped trying move, he sat back down again, looking troubled. "What's wrong?" I asked clearly and he looked up at me. "I just feel...as if I'm hurting you all the time. That I'm the one putting you in here." He admitted quietly and anger boiled inside me, my jaw clenching. "How could you say that?" I snarled at him and he looked at me, surprised. "Harry, it was Jai that out me here, not you. If anything, you saved me. You could have left me in my bathroom, but you didn't. I'm not in here because of you. I'm in here because you saved me." I said firmly and Harry frowned. "But I just keep thinking that if I hadn't done that fight like you told me to then maybe you wouldn't have walked onto the ring-"

"Fight or not fight, Jai would've still ended up hurting one of us. And it just happened to be me." I interrupted him and he nodded silently. "I wish I could take you away from all this." He said thoughtfully, his eyes wondering and my eyes lit up at the thought. "Where would you take me?" I asked hopefully and he chuckled. "Anywhere. Sydney. Venice. New York." He smiled and I let out a content sigh, thinking of how romantic it would be. "It does seem like a good idea." I admitted and he beamed. He reached over, his hands fitting on either side of my waist and he started to kiss me deeply. I began to melt against him, enjoying the sheer warmth of his tongue invading my mouth. My fingers tangled in his curly locks and his cheek brushed against mine, his lips now on my neck. I heard a loud gasp and we looked up, startled only to find that same nurse who told Harry off staring at us. She blanched, gulping nervously as she stared at Harry. I peered at Harry who was giving her a hard look, his emerald eyes going dark. She cleared her throat a little and scurried off down the corridor to the other ward. "That interfering old bat." Harry mumbled stubbornly and I smirked, his body now pressed against mine.

"She's just doing her job Harry, keeping an eye out on her patients." I sighed and he scoffed, resting his side against mine. "No, her job should be to keep her large nose out of other people's business." He retorted and I rolled my eyes, pinching his side lightly and he smirked, folding his muscular, tattooed arms across his chest. I shuffled over a bit to give him more room, so we were practically half sharing the bed. We stayed like that for a while, chatting quietly between ourselves while the only sound to be heard was the IV drip at my side and the heartbeat monitor. Harry was slowly making the pain go away and those sounds were the only things reminding me that I was still in hospital, other that I felt at home. I wasn't in any pain at all.

I must've fallen asleep sometime after that in mid conversation because when I woke up, it was broad daylight; the sun was streaming through the pale blue curtains of my room and my eyes fluttered open to see Harry in his chair once again, his jacket draped over the back of the chair. "Morning, beautiful." He grinned when he saw me awake. "I'm not so beautiful when I look like this." I scoffed, gesturing to all my bruises. "You beautiful all the time, babe." He mumbled, biting his thumbnail nervously and I cooed at him, blushing furiously while he smiled bashfully at me. I opened my mouth to speak to him again, but the door swung open and Ste walked in. My eyes widened at the sight of him, at how angry he looked and when he saw Harry, he quite literally charged at him and flung him against the wall next to me, leaving me stunned.

"I'm gonna kill you, y'know that?! You did this to Zayn, you put him in hospital!" he spat, gripping Harry's leather jacket furiously and pushing him up against the wall. Harry grunted, but tried to remain composed. I gasped, staring at Ste in fright, ready to leap out to him in case he hurt Harry. '"It wasn't me who did it, it was-"

"It was you! I know it was you from the start! You're nothing but trouble Harry, and you'll never be good enough for Zayn!" Ste argued back and my eyes widened. I opened my mouth to speak but somebody interrupted me. "Oy! No fighting in a public hospital please, there's young children around. If you do, I'll fling you both out." Our heads turned round to see that same nurse from last night, her eyes furiously glaring at Harry and Ste. Ste dropped Harry and he coughed, massing his throat. Ste sighed and brought another visitors chair over, sitting down on it next to Harry. "I'm still gonna kill you though." Ste mumbled stubbornly and I rolled my eyes at him. "No, you won't." Harry challenged, a knowing smirk on his face and Ste looked at him. "Why would I not?" Ste frowned and Harry snorted. "Because Zayn wouldn't let you." He replied, as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. I blushed at his words as Ste turned to me. "You wouldn't, would you?" he asked knowingly and I shook my head. "Nope!" I replied, popping out the 'p' and Harry laughed.

Ste sighed, glaring furiously at Harry as he crossed his arms legs over each other. They spent the next half hour rambling useless names and shouting quietly at each other until I found that it was starting to get ridiculous and I started to get impatient. "God damn it! Can't you two ever get a long?!" I finally shouted and Ste and Harry both looked at each other before they burst out laughing.

"Nice one Z, yore funny mate." Ste laughed, patting my leg playfully. I watched as Harry clenched his jaw at the contact, resisting the urge to hit Ste for it. I sighed, looking down at my lap, fiddling with the hospital band around my wrist. "I'll better go and get some breakfast, and leave you two to chat." I heard Harry say and I immediately looked up, grabbing at his wrist. "Wait! You'll come back, won't you?" I asked worriedly and he smiled. "Course I will." He promised, kissing my forehead before walking out the doors, Ste glancing back at him to make sure he was out of earshot.

"I still don't understand why you're with him." He admitted firstly, shaking his head in disbelief. "Because he makes me happy." I said simply with a frown and he snorted. "I make you happy too mate but that doesn't mean you love me." He shrugged and I raised an eyebrow. "So would you rather I'd be with you? Is that what you're saying? That you're jealous?" I pressed and he scoffed. "I don't like the D Zayn, I like the V. That's the difference between me and Harry. Except I'm just a lot nicer than him." He said smugly and I scoffed.

"I wouldn't flatter yourself. Harry is nice, once you get to know him." I defended and he chuckled. "He's wrapped you around his little finger, hasn't he? He's brainwashed you." He sighed, tutting. I began to get annoyed. "Ste, can you please leave if you're gonna say shit about me and Harry. I'm too tired for it." I frowned, scowling at him and he bowed his head. "Right. I'm sorry." He apologised and I shook my head.

Harry came back sometime later, sitting back down next to Ste and Ste wrinkles his nose at his presence. "Niall, Liam and Louis are coming in a bit. They phoned earlier." Harry explained and I looked up, surprised. "Oh." Was all I could say, feeling quite overwhelmed. "Who are they?" Ste frowned, tapping his foot impatiently on the floor. "Some new friends." I explained and Ste nodded, while Harry smirked next to him.

"Anyway, I better go now... I've got a shop to run." Ste admitted with a sigh and I nodded. Harry and I were silent for a couple of seconds before Harry called on Ste and I stared at him. But I was distracted when Niall, Liam and Louis came strolling through the door. "Ste? Can I talk to you for a sec?" I heard Harry call as the boys sat down next to me. "How are you, Zayn?" Liam asked kindly as he took Ste's seat. "I-I'm fine." I stuttered, to distracted to see what Ste and Harry are talking about. I don't understand. Harry wouldn't think twice about having a private conversation with Ste; their hatred for each other was so clear, so why would he want to talk to him in the first place?

When Harry came back, I decided to ask. "What was that all about?" I frowned and the three boys looked up at Harry when Ste left. Harry blanched a little, hesitating. "I, uh...I asked Ste to tell Darren to stay away from you." He admitted smugly and I glared at him, my hands bawling into fists. "I think we'll...just go for something to eat." Niall decided and the boys quickly hurried out the door. Harry stared at me, unsure of what to say. "Dick." I muttered and Harry sighed, sitting down. "He didn't listen to me though. He said you can see who you wanted." Harry shrugged and I snorted. "Good!" I said and he rolled his eyes.

That night, when the boys had went home, Harry lay curled up next to me. We spent endless hours talking to each other, yet again. Although some time later, I think he was beginning to fall asleep. I began to think about what Ste had said to me. About Harry wrapping me around his finger. Ste was wrong. Technically, he hadn't. Harry was just protective for his own good and that's what made me like him even more. There was just something dark and mysterious about Harry that I liked, that I'd never liked before in a guy. And what's more, Harry would always find his way back to me. Something that any other guy wouldn't do. That was love, right? What Harry and I had was perfect, even if others didn't see it.

My heart started to hammer in my chest at the realisation. Did I...did I really love Harry? Was that truly what Ste meant? I wasn't brainwashed, I was genially in love with Harry. My palms started to get sweaty as I bucked up all the courage I had in me. "Harry?" I croaked and he moaned in reply. "Harry, I think I love you." I finally admitted in a whisper but when I looked up, Harry was fast asleep, bid breathing even. I suddenly felt very stupid. I chocked back a sob, sniffing a little before burying my head into Harry's chest, squeezing my eyes shut.

___________

Hi guys! Sorry for the long wait! I've basically started this thing where every time someone tells me to update dark on a comment, I'm going to wait an extra day to do so. Because it really irritates me when that's all they can say about this story. But I stayed up until 1am writing this, so hopefully it's okay! Please write detailed comments guys, I'd love to hear them! Thank you :)