Chapter 33.

Zayn.

I shrugged my jacket off, tossing it over the hanger aimlessly before heading into the staff room. I came to a halt when I saw Ste there, reading the local newspaper as he sat a table. He looked up and stared at me anxiously. "You shouldn't be here, you're just out of hospital." He protested, standing up. "It's okay." I shook my head, heading left to the kitchen to make him a cup of tea. "I didn't say it was okay. I said you shouldn't be here." Ste argued, now standing next to me. "Well I'm here so-"

"Zayn, go home. You're not fit to be at work, especially when you're just out of hospital-

"I can't go home! Okay?!" I finally shouted and he jumped at my sudden outburst. "Why can't you go home?" he asked curiously, frowning. "Because Harry's home and-" I stopped myself short, forgetting who I was talking to. I blanched, shaking my head and turning around. "Harry? What's he down to you now?" he spat, grabbing my wrist and spinning me round.

“Nothing. Forget I said anything.” I muttered, pulling away from him. “Has he hurt you again? Because I swear, if he has, I’ll-“

“Have you ever stopped to think for a moment that maybe I did something?!” I argued and he opened his mouth then closed it again. “What did you do?” he asked knowingly and I sighed. “I…I made a mistake.” I shrugged and he moved closer, leaning against the worktop next to me. “What was it?” he asked quietly although I had a feeling he sensed what I was about to tell him. “I…I told him I loved him.” I admitted reluctantly and his eyes widened. “And?” he wondered, sounding eager and I chuckled. “And that’s it. He fell asleep and I don’t know if he heard me or not.” I moaned pathetically, sitting down on one of the leather seats and he joined me. “Speak to him about it.” He suggested and I scoffed. “Nah. I’m not putting myself through that again.” I protested, shaking my head and Ste rolled his eyes. “Look, if you told him once before you can tell him again. Besides, what have you got to lose? This is Harry Styles we’re talking about and he looks at you like you’re the most delicate thing that ever walked the planet. It’s clearly obviously he loves you back.” He smirked and my eyes widened. “Really?” I beamed and he chuckled. “He’d be daft not to. Now go and help Darren stack the shelves if you’re that eager to be at work.” He added with a cheeky smile, pushing me toward the shop and I chuckled, walking away to greet Darren.

“Hi, Darren!” I greeted fondly but I only got a strange look in reply and he sauntered off, ignoring me. “Darren?” I frowned, wondering after him as he continued to stack the shelves. “Darren, what did I do?” I asked immediately, sensing something was up. I grabbed at his wrist and he spun round, pulling it away. “Why don’t you ask that boyfriend of yours.” He retorted back lowly, walking away again so I followed him, throwing my head back and groaning. “What did he do, now?” I asked impatiently and he sighed. “I’m not surprised he didn’t tell you.” He muttered, biting his lip and I tilted my head to the side in confusion.

“Look, you and I both know he doesn’t like us working together…” he trailed off and I nodded encouragingly at him. “Yeah, so? Who cares what he thinks? It’s not stopped us working together, has it?” I said and he huffed a little, clearly not convinced. “Darren, Harry’s just a little protective-“

“Well I beg to differ.” He spat and I was taken aback by his sudden tone. “He threatened me, Zayn. He said he’d fucking kill me if even touched you.” He snorted and I blanched. “Aren’t you least bit frightened of him?” he asked desperately and I frowned at him. “He doesn’t scare me.” I replied back honestly and he scoffed. “He’s obviously got you wrapped around his little finger.” He said and my jaw clenched. “He also said next time he sees me with you, he’d make sure to bring a gun.” He pointed out mildly and my eyes widened. “Now tell me you’re not scared.” He said darkly and walked off, away from me.

Harry

I lifted up my head when I heard the door click shut and Zayn strolled through the living room, his leather jacket hung over his shoulder and a beanie over his head. I knew something was up when his eyes went everywhere but mine. “Is…everything okay?” I asked uncertainly, shifting my body to face him. He gulped nervously, biting his lip and I stood up. “I need to use your bathroom.” He said lamely and I huffed, grabbing his wrist when he was about to walk away. “No, you don’t. Talk to me.” I demanded in a raspy tone and he shuddered, making me smirk. “Harry, I…I really shouldn’t.” he said softly, trying to get away from me but I stopped him, pushing him against the wall violently and he winced, avoiding my gaze.

“Look at me.” I ordered but when he didn’t, I used my index to tilt his head upwards so he was looking directly at me and I leaned in, pressing my lips softly to his. “Stop!” he said urgently, pushing me so that I stumbled a few steps back. I stared at him, eyes wide. “What is going on?” I asked impatiently and he sighed, ready to speak.

Zayn

“I told you I loved you last night…and you were asleep. You completely ignored me.” I scoffed, feeling ridiculous. His eyes widened, his cheeks turning crimson. “Is that what this is all about?” he gushed and I looked at him, confused. “Babe, I did hear you. I just didn’t know what to say.” He admitted with a weak smile and I froze, my mouth going dry. “What?” I gasped, not knowing whether to feel relieved or sad. “Babe…I didn’t…I don’t know what to say….please, just give me some time.” He pleaded, strolling toward me again, his hands cupping my neck. “Time for what?” I frowned and he sighed, biting his lip. He looked like a lost kid, all sad and confused.

“Just give me some time…to tell you that I love you. I swear, I’ll…I’ll do anything for you. I just need time.” He assured me and I suddenly felt disappointed. “Okay,” I said weakly and he beamed. I gulped, burying my face into his chest, ignoring the stinging feeling in my eyes as the tears started to form. So that’s why he fell asleep night. He didn’t know what to say. He didn’t know how to feel and he didn’t want to hurt my feelings. This was his way of saying he didn’t love me back.

That night, I lay on Harry’s chest, listening to the steady rhythm of his heartbeat. It was comforting. I would’ve sworn he was asleep, but a few minutes later told me I was wrong.

“I’d still take a bullet for you, y’know.” He said, almost childlike and I couldn’t help the smile that crept on my face as I fell asleep.

_____________

Hi guys! I'm not to sure about how this chapter turned out, I had writers block! Sorry if it's crap! Please leave as much detailed comments as you can, thanks guy! Mwah! X