28

*Steves POV*

What happened to me?

"Why did you do that Captain?," Fury questioned me but he already knew what my answer would be.

"It wasn't me. I. I didn't do that."

Fury walked away from me and left the room, he already guessed as much. No one was paying me any mind they were focused on the guy I knocked out.

"Why would you ask a question like that! You will be demoted!"

They all talked but my eyes wouldn't move from the tank which was now encased with smoke.
Thor was now shouting for them to leave. "You've done enough damage, councilmen!"

Everyone was out of the room but only a bunch of us stayed behind.

"That was uncalled for," Natasha said pacing the floor.

I shook my head. "This whole set-up was uncalled for."

Wanda was wiping tears from her face when she asked. "Did you see her scars?"

We didn't say anything. I already felt sick to my stomach.

"Maybe we should come back later. She would want to be alone, at least for a little while," Tony said getting up to leave.

"I will stay behind," Bucky stated plainly.

We didn't argue with him so we left. That poor girl, she's gone through so much. I have to do something.

*Della's POV*
When everyone finally left I went towards the edge of the tank. I looked through the smoke, Bucky was the only one there. Clint was gone from his hiding spot and the people behind the mirror were busy.

"How are you?," I asked quietly, keeping the smoke up.

"How am I? How are you, Ru-?!," he paused and looked at me.

"Call me Della."

He nodded. "How are you, Della?"

"Fine. Never better."

He shook his head at me. "Don't lie to me."

"What do you want me to say! That I'm growing more anxious by the minute! That I want to go kill that man that was just here!," I paused trying to calm down to look strong in front of Bucky.

He stepped closer to the cage. "They're not going to do anything to you. You said it yourself. You are their favorite toy."

I let my forehead press against the glass. "This fucking sucks."

"What did you do?," Bucky asked breaking the silence. It looked like he was waiting for a while to ask me this question.

"What do you mean?"

"What did you do to me that night."

"I-," pausing I took a breath. "I took you out. Cloaked you until you were out of sight."

"Why didn't you save yourself?"

"He knew I was there. It would have ended terribly."

"Why did you save me?"

I looked at him when he said that. "I already told you. You didn't deserve to be there, you've been through enough. I looked into your mind when I first met you and all I saw was sadness and pain."

He turned his head away from me, trying to hold in his emotions. "I owe you my life."

I looked up at him and shook my head. "No you don't."

"There must be something I could do."

"Just help me get through this."

He nodded. "I will do my best."

I smiled. "You think I should break out of this cage?"

"And cause more mayhem? Maybe when everyone is asleep," he laughed.