58

When we finally arrived at base we were ushered into a room for debriefing. The whole team was there when we relayed our stories to Nick and a few agents. Then it came down to me.
“What happened inside the building?,” Nick was clearly exhausted when he spoke. We all were.
“I walked inside and saw Valentín rounding the corner so I went after him and ran into Malia and Kellin. We fought, I won. I jogged to catch up to Valentín and found him holding a gun to a man's head. I disarmed him but he shot me. I handled the situation and got out of there with the hostage.”
“And who are you, sir?”
My dad rose from his chair. “My name is Qarin and I am Delana’s father.”
The room went silent. Nick gave me a look and I nodded.
Fury shook his head and headed to the door. “Get some rest everyone. Clint go home to your family. This is too much information to take in.”
Wide eyed, I looked at everyone. They were all looking at my father though.
“He does look like you,” Clint agreed.
“Don't get off topic, Barton! Tell us everything,” Tony pointed at me.
I sighed. “I honestly can't tell you everything. I don't have a great memory and I only remember being like this since I was twelve. I knew then that I had to keep it a secret, until recently.”
My dad spoke up after me. “My wife and I made the decision to have her memories wiped. There were bad people after us, ever since she was born. We left her with a friend and I have been on the run since.”
My dad kept it short for them but I knew there was more to this story.
“What happened to your wife, may I ask,” Steve wondered.
My dad looked away. “She’s dead.”

After dinner, I asked my dad if he could tell me more before he left to his room. He agreed and we met in my room. Bucky asked me if he wanted me to be there and I politely turned him down.
“If he tries anything, I'll kill him,” I joked.
He smiled. “Not if I get to him first.”

My dad was sitting on the couch and I was on the floor seated near him.
“Start from the beginning,” I whispered.
He took a deep breath before beginning. “Your mother, her name was Isabella, she was the most beautiful person I have ever met. You have her strength and personality no doubt. She had the ability to consume energy and she was in constant fear of her abilities for she could never fully control it. We fell in love young and fast. After a year of being together we married and not long after she was pregnant with you. She felt your power grow inside of her belly and she feared for her life, afraid of dying in childbirth. But when she had you she was not afraid anymore, for a while it was pure bliss. You rarely cried and you had the most beautiful smile. You still do.”

“Your mother knew the extent of my powers. I am a different species of course but she didn't care. She loved me for me. One day, you were five at the time, we had just come home from an ice cream parlor when we found a man waiting for us on our front porch. He was her father, as it turns out this whole relationship was a setup from the start. They targeted me and she was to have a child that was so powerful that he was going to give to the government for experimentation and money.” He looked away, wiping away the tears that started to fall. “We rushed inside and asked for him to wait outside while we got you ready for travel. But in reality we were arguing. How could she say she loved me, love you? She argued that she didn't expect to find happiness with me. She didn't expect to fall in love with you. I didn't believe her so I said if she truly cared she would go outside and tell her father that there's been a change of plans. She went out and told him, by surprise he shot her in the chest. She was able to rebound the bullet into her father's chest. He was killed, I heard sirens sound in the distance so I wrapped us up in my wings and we left swiftly. We ended up in Chicago, my original home. We stayed low and kept to ourselves. We were always on the look out, and we never fully got the chance to enjoy our lives. You had just turned twelve when they had found us once again. Your mom had met an outstanding man who could wipe memories, so we paid him to wipe yours and asked him to watch over you. When they had us cornered, we were on the outskirts of Chicago away from harming anyone. They wanted us for our abilities, so we planned to fight back, unknowingly your brilliant and stubborn mother had other plans. She provoked them enough to consume so much energy, I was fighting them off until I heard her screams. I looked over to find her body pulsating and glowing from too much heat. I went over to her but she warned me to stay back. With her last breath she begged me to keep an eye on you. She said that no harm should come to you but to watch over you. I later found out that she had the man who could wipe memories place protection spells over you that would last till your twentieth birthday. She imploded with the men that attacked us and I got away safely. When I went back, disguised, you didn't even recognize me.” Tears fell freely down his face. “My little girl, didn't know me.”
I started to tear up as well.
“I left and vowed to hunt down the men who took you two away from me. I did find him, head of the research team, so did other people who were tracking him as well. He killed himself before we had a chance to attack. We left our separate ways and I've been on my own since. I've checked in on you from time to time. I've been so proud of the woman you have grown up to be. Your mother would be too."
I smiled at that last part and stood up so that I could pace. “Why haven't you tried to contact me before? What about when I was abducted, why didn't you try to intervene?”
“I didn't want to intrude on the life you were living, and Hydra got to me before they got to you. Turns out they've been watching the both of us this whole time.”
I couldn't believe it. Hydra were always watching me.“So it's true, I am half angel then?”
“Yes.”
Damn. He stood up then. “Is there anything else you would like to know?”
“I'll let you know if I think of anything.”
He smiled before walking over to me to embrace me. “If it's ok with you I would like to be a part of your life, indefinitely.”
I hugged him back. “I would like that.”
He gave me a small kiss on top of my head. “My sweet Delora.”