53

*Della's POV*
“So what's the plan?,” I asked aloud after the call ended. Valentín is stupid but he knows I was talking to him during the call. A new addition to my illusion ability is the power to use other people's voices. I just found out that I could do that.
“We need to call in agents and get the civilians out of there. Also-.”
“Or you could literally send us in. No need to get all of these innocent people in danger,” I cut Fury off.
“He could have an army growing by the day, what makes you so confident that you won't need help?”
“Um, they battled an army of aliens before?,” I said matter of factly.
“We did didn't we? I miss the good ‘ol days,” Tony said dreamingly.
“You were right about getting innocent civilians out of range so go ahead and do that. If we need help we'll call you,” I reasoned.
Fury was torn. “Alright.”
He stomped out of the room to shout orders.
“I think we have a new Captain, Steve,” Tony smirked looking at me.
Steve laughed.
“No one can replace Steve,” I argued.

We got the whole team together and discussed tactics.
“He'll probably have mutants covering him so we’ll need to take them out first.”
“Della, we will need you to be the medic as well. If you see anyone get injured, help them,” Steve strategized.
I grinned. “This is gonna be fun.”
Thor chuckled. “I agree with Delana. Has been awhile since I've been in battle.”
“You two are crazy,” Tony joked.

I was in the weapons room with Bucky, we were gearing up for the fight
“What do you think? Should I take the little knives or this big ass gun?”
He shook his head. “The knives. Make him suffer.”
“You read my mind, James.”
I was putting them in different pockets on my person when he laughed. “James.”
“Huh?”
“It sounds so foreign to me every time I hear it,” he whispered.
I walked over to him and gave him a hug. "Tell me about it."
Inside, I was battling with the decision to tell him a secret. Isn't that what friends do? Confide in eachother.
“I-.”
“Hey, Buck, can I talk to you about something really quick?,” Steve walked in through the door cutting me off.
“Hold on. Della? Did you have to tell me something?,” Bucky looked at me.
I was hesitant. “You know what, I forgot what I was going to say. Go ahead, I’m going to see what else I can fit into my pockets.”
He nodded but he could tell I was lying. They cleared the room leaving me behind to think about some lies I’ve told to save my identity. I was putting a small knife in my bra when I heard footsteps coming my way.
“I don’t need any weapons, Pietro!”
“You know anything can happen to you! You’ll thank me later,” it was Pietro and Wanda making their way to the weapons room. I was about to leave when Wanda caught me going out.
“Della! Please tell my brother that my abilities are enough for battle and I do not need some knife to help me!”
I started to laugh. “Your brother is right, Wanda, I’m afraid. What if something was to happen to me and I suddenly turn off your abilities? How are you going to defend yourself against me?”
That took them off guard and now I'm thinking I shouldn't have used myself as an example like that.
“See. I am always right,” Pietro nudged his sister.
She punched him in the arm. “Shut up! You are not!”
I laughed and walked away.

*Steve's POV*
“I just want to give you a head's up, Buck.”
We were walking outside of the foundation, out of earshot from Della.
“What is it?”
“They made a weapon. A few weapons actually. One of them will be able to knock Della out, unconscious. The second one can trap her in place to keep her from running off. And the last one might kill her if things get out of hand.”
I still couldn't believe it when Fury told me their plans.

“These weapons will stop her,” he told me.
“One could kill her!”
“That is a last resort, Captain. That psychopath could have something or someone to use against her and ultimately cause her to spin out of control.”
I took a step back from Fury. “Have you told her about these?”
“We are going to try to catch her of guard, Steve. She can't know about this.”
I shook my head and started to walk away when he spoke again.
“Tell your friend, Bucky, and make sure he doesn't tell her.”

“I’m sorry, Buck.”
He looked angry. “It's fine.”
That took me off guard. “What?”
“I know what she's capable of and I know who Valentín is. He'll use anything to manipulate her. If he does anything to her to turn her against us we need to be ready.”
I didn't have any words but deep down I knew he was right about this. “I see.”
“I'll keep my word. And make sure whoever is handling that last weapon that they don't use it unless they're certain.”
I nodded. He was angry, I could tell, but this he was sure of.