Chapter 15

The spaghetti carbonara was amazing, but now I feel like I might explode, I'm so full. While Chris and I ate dinner we got to know each other, asking the basic questions, like favourite colour, and animal, that kind of thing. It was nice, we were just two people getting to know one another, he wasn't Chris Martin of Coldplay, and I wasn't broken, we were normal.

I decided to head for a shower after the meal, Chris said he had a second part to the surprise, but I can have part 2 in my pyjamas which, honestly is music to my ears. I get in the shower and put it as hot as it will go, the hot water instantly relaxed me, I wash my hair and body and hop out of the shower. I throw my grey sweatpants with a black vest and a hoodie, I quickly half dry my hair and brush it, I make sure I have removed all of my makeup.

I go to leave my room when I hear Chris, "Wait Millie, I need to cover your eyes, let me in." I open the door and Chris instantly puts his hands over my face, he walks me to a room before telling me to close my eyes for a few seconds, "Open your eyes." I open my eyes quickly, I notice that I am in the music room. Holy crap! The guys are here, Coldplay are in my apartment! They have all got their instruments, all plugged in, "What's going on?" I ask, instead of answering the band exchange a smirk before beginning to play Fix You, I don't know what's best the fact that Coldplay are in my apartment or the fact that this is like a private concert, the song is so beautiful live, I couldn't hold back the tears as much as I tried. I stand up to thank them and I am pulled into a group hug, unfortunately the group hug is ruined by my phone going off. You've got to be kidding me! "Crap! I have to take this," It's the hospital, "Dr Baker speaking," I recognise the voice instantly, it's Olivia. "Hey I'm really sorry to disturb you but, I think you need to come here," "Olivia what's wrong? Is it an emergency?" I really am not in the mood to go back to work right now. "It's Cody-" Crap. "I'm on my way!" I hang up. "I'm so sorry guys I have to go it's my patient, I don't think I will be long I will ring you if it's not a quick job I'm really really sorry. I'll be right back I promise," I grab my keys and walk to the door,  "SORRY!" I yell one last time I hear the guys laughing.

I drive like a maniac to hospital, I run to the locker room and out my scrubs on, I actually came here in my pjs I can't believe I did that. I run to the ICU to see Cody's monitor beeping, he's hypertensive, I push nitroglycerin and take him to the OR "Olivia, get me a surgical team ASAP!" I tie my scrub cap before even getting into the scrub room, I scrub in as quick as I can, I get gloved and gowned, and begin my second surgery. "Scalpel." I am handed a scalpel, I cut into Cody's chest, and just as I suspected the patch has come undone and his aorta is dissecting, "What are you going to do doctor?" What am I going to do? Open aortic surgery, Bentall procedure, David procedure or I could replace the damaged parts with a vascular ring connector (VRC) using it as a stent in the graft to achieve quick, blood sealed and sutureless anastomosis that's what I'm going to do. "I'm going to need a VRC, we need to drain the blood in his chest cavity," "His pulse is dropping," I need to do this fast the doctor assisting drains the blood and the scrub nurse hangs another unit of blood, I am running out of time, "He's flat lining." "Push epi." Crap come on Cody I try to stop the dissection but it's too late. "No response to epi, still flat lining, BP is dropping." Next thing I know Cody is dead, I'm too late, "Someone call it!" I yell as I leave the OR, as I'm leaving I hear the assisting doctor say, "Time of death 10:47 pm." As I am heading off to tell the officers the news, I bump into Olivia and Dr Williams, "How is your patient?" Olivia asks, "I was too late, I did everything I could."
"Cause of death?" Dr Williams asks, "Post op aortic dissection." I hate this part of the job.

"BAKER BAKER BAKER" I'm greeted by the chants of the officers, "Hey, you might want to sit down, I'm extremely sorry, but Cody-" I feel a lump in my throat, "He's not dead right doc?" I sigh "I did everything in my power however Cody's heart had been weakened by the previous surgery, and couldn't take the strain of the second surgery, Cody passed away on the operating table, I'm very sorry." The officers all look at me like it hasn't sunk in until Brad begins to tear up, "How did he die?" He asks, "The patch I repaired his heart with didn't hold after a few hours and so he had an aortic dissection, it is a fairly common complication, there was no way we could've picked it up sooner, I am sorry." I look and now the room of police officers is now full of men who have lost their brother, "Thank you for trying Doc." Brad says looking at the floor, I gently pat his shoulder and leave, I get changed and head home.

I walk through the door at 11:20 to be greeted by the band, "Is everything ok?" Jonny asks as I enter, "My patient died." I manage to choke back my tears, this is part of the job, I couldn't have prevented it. This was not my fault. Jonny pulls me into a hug and soon everyone joins in, "Do you guys want to stay here tonight? I have a sofa and there's the spare room and I can make a bed on the floor." "That would be lovely Millie." Guy said with his soothing Scottish accent. I made up all the beds before turning to Chris, "You might have to sleep in my bed, because I've run out of space, I could sleep on the floor though." I'm exhausted and I just want my bed now, "Come on I'll sleep with you." We say goodnight to the guys and head to bed.

Tonight is the first night I have slept without having a nightmare, it must be because I'm spooning with Chris, I mentally laugh and myself, and drift into a deep sleep.