Chapter 31

"Mummy! Mummy wake up!" I hear a voice say next to me, it's a little girl, she has long curly brown hair, and bright blue eyes, "Where is Daddy?" I shrug my shoulders, "I don't know." I walk into the kitchen and there is a note,
Camilla, I'm sorry to do this but, well I'm leaving, after what happened with Jake I can't take it anymore you have too much negativity around you. Take care of Mia.
I fall to the floor in tears, "What's wrong Mummy?" She hugs me, I have no idea what has happened, I can't remember anything. I look around the living room and there are lots of pictures of Chris and I, what happened?

"Millie, time to wake up! Your gonna be late for work." Chris says, he kisses me on the cheek, "I'm awake." I yawn, I have a weird feeling, I can't describe it, it's really odd. I get up and throw some clothes on, "I made pancakes!" Chris says happily, "Sorry Millie, I lied when I said you were late your early because I made pancakes for you." He puts a plate of pancakes down in front of me, they have strawberries and Nutella on them, "And you didn't set the apartment on fire!" I giggle. We sit and eat our pancakes and just chat, "What are you doing at work today?" He asks, "I don't know, that's why I love trauma it could be anything, a child with a broken arm to victims of a car crash, you know it keeps you on your toes, what are you doing today?" I say, he thinks about it for a second, "Nothing much, probably just planning the tour a bit more." I nod, "Well I'd better get going." Since Chris has moved in we don't have to share a car anymore, which is bloody good, I give him a quick kiss on the lips, "Love you Chris, see you tonight." He pulls me into a hug and kisses me on the head lightly, "Goodbye Millie." I leave the apartment with a goofy smile on my face, I bloody love him, how did I get so lucky?

I arrive to work and get changed into my scrubs, I get paged to Dr Williams' office, I knock and walk in, I almost faint when I see who is stood next to him, time stands still, all I can think is why? Just when everything was going good, why now? I am interrupted from my thoughts, "Ah Camilla Baker, long time no see." I glare at him coldly, "Dr Williams all do respect sir, but what the hell is he doing here!" I say my voice sounds cold, I have raised my voice slightly, "Calm down Cammy, I'm only here to take you home." How dare he. How fucking dare he. "Step outside. Now." Is all I say, "Sorry sir, I just need to take care of this." I take him into the locker room. "I hate to break it to you, but I live here now. I am not leaving. Not for you not for anyone." I say my words laced with venom, "But I left her, I got a divorce for you. I'm here to bring you home. We miss you. I miss you." He looks at me sadly, "No. Don't you dare try to talk me into going back to Seattle! I am done with you Jake. Go back to the states. I have fucking moved on from you, I have healed. Look at me I'm all better." He steps forward to grab my wrist, I step to the side and twist his hand, "Why so hostile? Cammy." I flinch when he calls me Cammy, "I am not called Cammy. My name is Camilla, but to you it is just doctor Baker. In fact no to you I am nothing, like you are nothing to me. You don't get to come here for forgiveness, you cheating son of a bitch, how do you think I felt, knowing that for a year and a half, I was dating a married man! I think you should fucking leave now before I kick the crap out of you!" My voice is gradually getting louder, I can't even begin to explain how much I hate Jake Smith. "Now. Now. Cammy, we both know that I would win in a fight." He steps forward and tries once again to grab me, "Leave now! And don't you ever come back you piece of scum!" He grabs my wrist and tries to, well I don't know I think he was going to hit me, "I thought your mother raised you better than to hit a girl?" I say sarcastically, "Yeah well you are a bitch you have it coming to you. You know I'm fucking glad Mike hit you when you were young, you deserved it you ungrateful bitch!" Jake was the only person in Seattle who knew my story, I hear another voice coming from the doorway, "Leave my hospital now! Before I call security for you assaulting my staff!" It's Dr Williams, I sigh a breath of relief, Jake lets go of me, "This won't be the last you see of me." His words send a shiver down my spine.

"Baker? Are you alright?" Dr Williams asks, "Yeah I'm fine, have we got any good cases?" He looks at me for a second, "Yeah one just came in, a lady was on her horse and she fell of and got trampled, possible head injury, internal bleeding and broken ribs, do you want to take it?" I nod, and head down to the A&E department, I really need to take my mind off what just happened, before I lose it. I can't breakdown. Not after I have done so well. I will not let him back into my head. The case arrives and I immediately run the tests and take her up to the OR, I need to repair the internal injuries, I prep myself and scrub in, the scrub nurse puts a gown and pair of gloves on me, I grab the scalpel and make the first cut.

The operation went well, the patient is alive and seems fine, I will keep nurses monitoring her over night, I head up the the Chief's office, "Camilla, are you ok?" I sigh, "Sir I'm fine, honestly, I just thought I'd update you, the patient is stable, are there anymore cases you need me on?" He shakes his head, "No but the interns could do with a lesson in trauma surgery, shall I have them all paged to the briefing hall?" I nod, "OK yeah I'll do some teaching, how much do they know?" "Only the basics." I make my way to the briefing hall, after 5 minutes they have all arrived, "Hello everyone, I'm Dr Baker. And today I'm going to teach you about the basics of trauma surgery. Let's say you arrive to a scene of an accident and you find a patient, what is the first thing you check?" An intern raises their hand I point and them and they answer, "You check to see they are alive," I shake my head, "Anyone else?" Nobody responds, "The very first thing you do is check your surroundings, make sure that you aren't putting yourself in immediate danger, before approaching the patient. What next?" The intern from before raises their hand, "Is it airway? You check the airway." I nod, "Do you want to continue, what is next?" "Breathing, once the airway is checked you check for breathing," I nod, "Anyone else know what is next?" Nobody responds, "Next is circulation, you check the circulation. Next you check for disability, so you run basic neuro exams and ask the patient questions to know if they can hear you, then you examine the patient, that is pretty self explanatory, assess the injuries. The you check the patients temperature, so you know if they have hyperthermia, which could help narrow down a diagnosis, then you get the vitals, next is head to toe exam, you check the patients entire body for injuries and finally is intervention, once you have done all of the above you can begin to treat the patient. And those are the trauma ABCs, learn them." I notice most of the interns are making notes, I then explain each point in more detail for them and then I test them all, "There will be another lesson next week, you will be paged. Well done everyone."

Now that is over I can head home. My mind has almost forgotten about the incident earlier, but now it has come flooding back into my mind. I need to talk to Chris.