Chapter 23

Wow. I can't believe how quickly my life has changed. This time last month I was in hospital after being stabbed, and now I'm dating the Angel that is Chris Martin, the rest of the band are really supportive of us, they treat me like family and I know I can trust them with anything. Chris doesn't ask about my story anymore, I'm glad but I feel like I owe him it. I honestly can't even begin to express how perfect my life is right now, my career has been boosted since I moved here, I'm now one of the best surgeons in Europe, I've been doing more teaching lately because I had a week of back to back surgeries which was exhausting, but tomorrow I'm planning to help in a few surgeries and maybe see if anything comes to the A&E department. Chris is perfect, we are both healing each other, one piece at a time, once a week we have date night and we take it in turns to plan date night tonight it's Chris' turn to plan date night because it's a special one he said.

I feel someone tapping my shoulder, it's Olivia "You ok Millie? You zoned out a bit." I smile at her, "I'm great Olivia, sorry I was just thinking." I decide to head to the A&E department to see if there are any cases I'm needed on, I walk through the doors and see a young lady sitting on a bed screaming in pain, I rush over to her and ask her what is wrong, then I see that she has a baby bump, this lady is in labour. Crap! I never paid attention when I was on OB/GYN which I regret right about now. "Someone page OB STAT!" I yell. What do I do? Does she need a c-section? Or is it a natural birth? I have no clue. Before I have to take action the OB on call arrives, "She just arrived." I state the OB nods and rushes her off to surgery. That was close, I head to the gallery to watch. Just as the doctor is about to deliver the baby I am paged to A&E, I hurry there.

When I arrive I am waved over by Olivia, "What is it?" I ask, "John Doe, head on collision with a lorry, fractured arm and broken leg, a hemothorax in the field. GCS of 6. Eyes respond to painful stimuli, incoherent sounds and extension to painful stimuli. Drifting in and out of consciousness." As soon as the patient arrives I order a head CT to be sure, and perform a tube thoracostomy, to relieve the pressure in his lungs, he responds to this. I take him to CT as quick as I can and page the neuro surgeon on call, this guy has a huge bleed on his brain, I also page ortho to look at his arm and leg. We all agree to rush him to surgery, Dr Adams (neuro) will operate on his brain as I help Dr Yang (ortho) to put a cast on his arm and we will have to put pins in his leg to help the bone heal correctly.

The surgery went well. I go to the nurses station to ask if they have an ID on the John Doe, "Anything on the John Doe, Sam?" He shakes his head "Not yet Dr B." "Can I search his personal belongings?" "Yeah." He hands me a clear bag with all of the patients possessions in, I have a look, bingo he has a phone, 7 missed calls from Jackie, I call Jackie back,
"Jesus Christ Tom! You had me worried!" Her voice sounds calm and relieved, "Erm Jackie is it? I'm Dr Baker at St Mary's hospital and this phone belongs to the patient, would you be able to come in."
"Yes I'll be right there." With that she hangs up.

10 minutes later Jackie arrives, "Is he ok? Is Tommy alive?" I inform her about Tom's accident and his surgery and let her go and see him she is his wife, it's been a few hours since his surgery and the anaesthetic has worn off he is now awake, I do some basic neurological exams and he seems ok just in pain, I give him some morphine and head out, my shift has ended. Now I need to go home for date night.

I arrive home and Chris isn't here. I see a note on the table,
Hey Millie,
How was your day? You can tell me all about it on our date, there is an outfit in our room for you. I love you baby, I'll pick you up at 8:30. See you soon,
Love Chris <3
Aw he is so cute, I walk into our room and there is a baby pink dress on the bed I look closer at it, it is lace with small pearls embellished into the top, it has a silk sash at the waist and a slightly A-line skirt, i put it on and it reaches my knees nearly, then I see the shoes that go with it, they are gorgeous, they are baby pink with pearls on the heels they match the dress perfectly. I leave my hair natural and apply a small amount of makeup. I hear Chris walk in his eyes look bluer than normal, "Hey, you look beautiful as always." He kisses me gently on the lips, "Thank you for the dress, I love it. What are we doing tonight?" He is wearing black skinny jeans and a black shirt that shows off his arms, he looks hot, no surprise there then! "It's a surprise." Ugh I hate surprises. I feel like I'm forgetting something, what is today, 20th of December, it's nearly Christmas but what is today? It can't be that important if I have forgotten it. Right?

We arrive at a place I've never seen, it looks like a village hall, we walk in hand in hand, I look around and it's totally empty. We reach a room and as we enter I hear lots of cheers and then the lights go on, "HAPPY BIRTHDAY MILLIE!" Oh yeah it's my birthday, I knew it was something. The guys are here so is Hannah, I look around and there are all my friends from Seattle: Alex, Steve, Meredith, Jamie, Zoe and George. "Oh. My. God! What are you guys doing here!" I squeal, squeezing Chris' hand. "Well we couldn't miss your 30th birthday. Duh!" I can't believe it I introduce my new friends to my old ones and everyone is getting along really well, I grab Chris and pull him out of the room, I drag him into the coatroom,  "What are you do-" to silence I press my lips against his, the kiss is full of passion and desire I wrap my legs around his waist and my arms around his neck, I feel like a teenager I think to myself, "How did you know?" I ask him, "Well actually they found me, saying its your birthday so we kinda all made a group effort to do this. Happy birthday love." I kiss him again, "Christopher Anthony John Martin, I fucking love you." He smiles and pulls me into another kiss, "Camilla no middle name Baker, I fucking love you too." We decide to rejoin the party, luckily nobody noticed we were gone.

After a few hours everyone gives me gifts, the Seattle group got me a frame with a few different pictures of us from when we were interns to when we were attendings. Hannah bought be a really cute bracelet with a small love heart on it. Guy, Will, Jonny and Phil bought be the few Coldplay vinyls I didn't have and Guy also bought me a new mylo shirt as mine was stained with my blood from when I first met them, I laughed and hugged them all. Then it was Chris, "Well Millie, the thing is, I wanted to propose to you today because I don't know about you but I think I've found my soulmate and the love of my life, but these morons," He points at the guys, "Told me it was too soon, they also told me to wait a while and to get you something more meaningful, so I got you this for your birthday, I love you Camilla." He hands me a small box, I open it and inside is a ring, "It's a promise ring Millie, I promise you that I will never leave your side, and I will never stop loving you, I promise you my everything, and one day I promise to make you Mrs Camilla Martin, but until then, I promise to stay." I can feel tears forming in my eyes, I'll admit that was pretty cheesy, but it is adorable, "I love you Chris." I hug him tightly, trust me I want to do so much more, if you know what I mean, but for now it will do.