Can We Keep It? (Luke Castellan)

Requested by StoneStar03. Thank you for requesting!

No.

You groaned and hit your hands on the steering wheel. You had been at the store when you noticed a puppy running loose in the parking lot. The poor dog had almost been run over four times after you'd noticed it and he was filthy. So when you got your groceries in your car, you called for him, and he came running.

You'd put him in the passenger seat and texted your boyfriend with a picture and message asking to keep him. No, was the answer. You looked over at the dog. His ribs were visable, he had multiple ticks on him, and once again, he was filthy. You sighed.

Too late, already on the way home.

You were obviously lying. The keys were in your lap! The puppy wagged his tail excitedly, not knowing he was about to get a new home.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When you got the puppy into your arms after pulling into the driveway, you left your things in the car not having any cold stuff, and heading toward the door. You opened the door.

"Luke, please don't kill me!" You shouted as you opened the door, you heard something fall back toward your bedroom. You winced.

"What do you me-" Luke stopped talking when he came into the room and noticed the dog in your hands. "No, (Y/N), we can't handle a dog."

"Luke!" You whined as you struggled to hold the dog. "Look at him! He obviously doesn't have a home!"

"Well, we can take him to the shelter." He replied and you glared at him.

"Go get the groceries out of the car." You snapped and pushed past him, the dog nipping his arm on the way past. "You're gonna get a bath," You said happily to the dog.

You set him in the bath tub and leaned down on your knees, starting the water. You made sure it wasn't too cold but not too hot. You didn't have any dog shampoo so you just used yours, trying to get the grime off him. When he started to come clean, you noticed he was a pretty golden color.

"You're so pretty," You smiled at him. He wagged his tail in response.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You began to dry him off and he shook, splattering dog hair all over the bathroom. He hopped over the tub and ran out of the bathroom. You feel backward into the tub and watched as he slid into the wall before disappearing down the hall.

"(Y/N)!" Luke shouted and you couldn't help but laugh. You stood up, still dirty, and followed the wet paw print to the kitchen where Luke stood with a dog at his feet, chewing happily on the end of his sock. You laughed again.

"This isn't funny, we don't need a dog. Look how dirty you are now!"

"Oh, boo hoo," You scooped up the dog and he licked your face. "Like you wouldn't be dirty." You looked at the dog. "You need a name little guy, what name do you want?" You turned away from Luke and went to the living room.

"Don't get attached!"

"Don't tell me how to live my life!"

You sat down on the couch happily, the dog bounding around in the floor. You crossed your legs and tapped your knees, humming. Your new dog needed a name to go with him and you weren't sure what to go with. After countless minutes on the puppy licking himself dry on the chair and Luke clanging dishes as he put them away, you decided on (Dog's Name). You smiled and patted your knees.

"(Dog's Name)!" You said happily and he looked at you. You smiled. "That's you! Yeah, that's you!" He began wagging his tail and hopped off the chair, running over to jump in your lap making you laugh.  "Oh!" You noticed Luke glaring at you from the doorway and smiled innocently.

"(Y/N), dogs require food and collars and leashes and toys. You know this right?" He threw a dish towel at you playfully. You pulled it from your face as (Dog's Name) began to try and chew on it.

"Of course I do, which is why you're either going to get it all or staying here with him." You and Luke had a staring contest before you both looked to the dog who now hopped down and was making his way toward Luke. Luke scowled.

"I'll be back in a little while."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After Luke had returned with an orange collar, a black leash, two silver dog bowls, a fifty pound bag of food and a tan dog bed, he seemed to be more aggravated with the newfound family member. You sat everything up for (Dog's Name) while Luke made supper and you dog stayed at your heels, following you around. You pointed at the dog bed at the foot of your and Luke's bed.

"This is your bed, lay down." He stood happily on it, not really obeying and you sighed. "Lay down (Dog's Name)." He still didn't listen. "Luke!"

"What!" He answered from the living room. You could hear the TV loudly from here and were surprised he even heard you.

"Come here a minute!" You  looked back at the dog and moved to sit with your legs crossed underneath you. You heard Luke pad his way down the hallway and into the bedroom, standing behind you. You leaned your head back and pouted. "See if you can get him to lay down please?"

He didn't look pleased.

You two looked slowly at the four legged mammal and he sighed, sitting beside you. You smiled and kissed his cheek. He tried to hide it, but you could see the small smile he had. "Don't pull me in with physical contact, I'm still upset with you." You shook your head and took his hand, kissing his jaw and he rolled his eyes.

"There's innocent eyes present (Y/N)." You laughed and looked to your dog which sat on his bed, staring at you and Luke with his head tilted to the side. Luke reached out carefully and (Dog's Name) pushed his muzzle into his palm. You nudged his rib and stood up.

"Alright puppy dog, time to get some food in your system!" The puppy seemed to brighten at the mention of food and chased you down the hallway to the kitchen where his bowls were.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Days passed and it turns out, (Dog's Name) doesn't really like his bed and would much rather snuggle up between your head and Luke's pillow. Some nights he'd even stretch enough throughout the night that when you woke up the next morning you found Luke sleeping on the floor or the couch. This morning when you woke up, Luke was still in bed and the dog was not. You sat up worried and looked around, only to discover him laying in his bed with him nose pressed against the wall. You laid back down, content with your finding and snuggled into Luke's chest, only to wake up two hours later with (Dog's Name) sprawled over both your and Luke's head.

Did you like it. . . ?