0.14

Rowen sat downstairs in the common room. It was the middle of the night, and she should be asleep but that was nearly impossible. The girl had too many things on her mind, so she sat in front of the warm fire and embraced the silence. She was surprised when she heard footsteps coming down the stairs, she turned around and saw Harry.

"Hello." she said, Harry jumped.

"I wasn't expecting anyone else to be up."

"Where are you headed." he lifted the Marauders Map, "what did you see causing you to sneak out of here in the middle of the night."

"Peter Pettigrew."

"Impossible." Rowen said, she stood up and went over to Harry. But sure enough, she saw the name, "let's go."

"You'll get in trouble."

"When don't I get in trouble."

"Not much this year."

"That's because I'm planning something huge." Rowen said with a smile. The cousins moved down a dark corridor, Harry held the map, while Rowen held her wand. The end of it glowing as a light. The paintings they passed were all fast asleep. Rowen looked down at the map and saw her and Harry's name as well as Peter Pettigrew. They go down the corridor, growing closer and closer. Suddenly they were all on top of each other, they looked up and are met with their own reflections, "bloody hell." Rowen said jumping. They both look back down at the map and see that Peter has moved past them. Confused Rowen cast her wand along the walls, earning groans and complaints from the paintings. 

"Watch it there, girl." a painting said. She looked back down and shines the light on the map, Pettigrew continues to move away from them. They go to follow, but stop when they hear footsteps. She puts the light back on the map and sees the name they both dread; Severus Snape.

"Mischief managed!" Harry said quickly, stashing the map.

"Nox." Rowen said quietly, extinguishing her wand. They both turn into the harsh glare of light that is Severus Snape's wand.

"Potter. Black. What're you doing wandering the corridors at night?"

"I was...I was...sleepwalking." Rowen gave Harry a look.

"Yes, and I followed after him in concern. You know, we aren't supposed to be alone during this time."

"How extraordinarily like your father you are, Potter. He, too, was exceedingly arrogant. Strutting about the castle--"

"My dad didn't strut. Nor do I. Now, if you don't mind, I'd appreciate you lowering your wand." Snape eyed the two coldly, but lowers his wand."

"Turn out your pockets." Harry doesn't move and neither does Rowen, "turn out your pockets!" Harry does. Seeing the map, Snape's eyes glitter and Rowen rolls her eyes, "and this. What might it be?"

"Spare bit of parchment..."

"Really.." he positioned his wand, "reveal your secret!" much to their dismay words did appear. Snape studied him before turning the map his way, "read it."

"Messrs. Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs offer their compliments to Professor Snape and..."

"Go on."

"... and request that he keep his abnormally large nose out of others people's business." Rowen coughed, trying to cover up her laugh.

"Why you insolent little--"

"Professor...?" Professor Lupin's voice was welcome at that point.

"Well, well. Lupin. Out for a little walk in the moonlight, are we?" Rowen glared at Snape for the little comment he had made.

"Harry? Rowen? You all right?"

"That remains to be seen. I've just now confiscated a rather curious artifact from Mr. Potter. Take a look, Lupin. This is supposed to be your area of expertise." Lupin takes the map, and Rowen knew right away that he recognized it, "clearly, it's full of Dark Magic."

"I seriously doubt that, Severus. It looks to me as if it merely insults anyone who tries to read it. I suspect it's a Zonko product. Nevertheless, I shall pursue any hidden qualities it may possess. As you say, it's my area of expertise. Come, you two." Rowen could tell that Remus was upset and she looked over at Harry who got the feeling as well. They got to Lupin's office and Rowen looked over at him, "I don't know how this map came to be in your possession, Harry, but I'm astounded that you didn't turn it in. Did you ever stop to think that this--- in the hands of Sirius Black-- is a map to not only you, but to Rowen as well.

"Your father didn't set much store by rules either. But he and your mother did give their live to save yours. Gambling their sacrifice by walking about the castle, with Sirius' daughter, strikes me as poor way to repay them. I won't cover up for you again, Harry. As for you Rowen, you need to be smarter. Yes, you are a very talented witch. Well beyond what you're being taught, but your father is a highly skilled wizard." Lupin entered his office, tossed the map on his desk, and began to sort through papers. Harry and Rowen bigger near the doorway.

"Professor. Just so you know, I don't think the map always works. Earlier, it showed someone in the castle. Someone we know to be dead." Harry said.

"And who is that, Harry?"

"Peter Pettigrew." Rowen said, answering for her cousin. He only faltered for a bit before returning to his papers.

"Very well. I'd like you two to return to your dormitory now. Oh, and don't take any detours. If you two do. I'll know."