0.21

Rowen sat in the Defense Against the Dark Art classroom with other students in her year and the Hufflepuffs that shared the hour with them.

"Alastor Moody." Professor Moody said writing his name on the chalkboard, "ministry malcontent. And your new defense against the dark arts teacher. I'm here because Dumbledore asked me, end of story, goodbye, the end. Any questions? When it comes tot the dark arts, I believe in a practical approach. But first, which of you can tell me how many unforgivable curses there are?"

"Three, Professor." Rowen said looking up at the man, she was nervous about where the question would leave. The idea of learning these unforgivable curses scared Rowen. 

"And Miss Black they are so named?"

"Because they are unforgivable. Use of any one of them will..."

"Will earn you a one way ticket to Azkaban just like your father. Now the ministry says you're too young to see what these curses do. I say different! You need to know what you're up against, you need to be prepared. So, which curse shall we see first? HAVEN!"

"Yes?" Artemis Haven looked up, black-hair covering his eyes and he looked scared as hell.

"Give us a cruse."

"Well, my dad told me about the imperious curse."

"Ah yes." he opened up a jar that held a spider and Rowen could see where this is going, "hello. What a little beauty." he said the spell and used his wand to send it around the classroom causing people to scream, "don't worry. Completely harmless. But if she bites... she's lethal!" Rowen let out a yelp when the spider that had no control of his body and she tried to make sure that she didn't cry in front of her peers, "talented isn't she? What shall I have her do next? Jump out the window? Drown herself?" he held the spider over a bucket of water and it wiggled in fear, "scores of witches and wizards have claimed that they only do did you-know-whose bidding under the influence of the imperious curse. But here's the rub, how do we sort out the liars? Another...another.. come on come on. " someone raised their hand, she wasn't sure of her girls name but she looked just as uncomfortable as Rowen, "Wellington, right? Up." the Hufflepuff stood, "what do you have for me?"

"The cruciatus curse."

"Correct!" he was manic now and it scared Rowen even more, "come, come. Particularly nasty. The torture curse." he said the spell and the spider squealed in pain.  Rowen stood, she knew she was crying.

"STOP! What you're teaching us isn't right! They're illegal for a reason." she wiped her eyes and glared at the professor.

"Perhaps you could give us the last unforgivable curse Miss Black. The one your father all but performed on your mother and his supposed best friends." Rowen looked at the man with anger and tears made their way down her face once more and she shook her head. Moody cast a spell and the spider disintegrates right before their eyes, "the killing curse. Only one person is known to have survived it. Rowen's own cousin." he approached the red headed girl just before she grabbed her books and rushed out of the room and going into the hallway. Finding her way back to the common room to be alone.