THE DAY IT ALL BEGAN

'Watch where you are going, man!!! I screamed at the cabman that almost ran me off the sidewalk. I swore under my breath as sweat dripped down my face.

In the process, the man has splashed the most disgusting muddy water on me. "Typical," I  thought. My day was officially ruined. I ground my teeth and stopped the next bus going to Clinetower.

I lived on the hinterland of the island, which was inhabited by a small bunch of people who knew and saw everyone like family. The favourite part of the island was the beach closest to the hinterlands, the only one I could walk to. It was peaceful and there I could pick out my thoughts.     

 I rested my head on the window, and thought for a moment about my life; frustrated, broke and confused. The best three words to describe my life. I was still living with my parents who were poor, so i had no money. I felt my life slipping away from my grasp effortlessly and I could do nothing to stop it. The bus stopped at the bus park. Gathering my backpack, I stepped off the bus and took the short walk home. 

I knocked on the front door just as I  started to feel the rain drizzle faintly. Getting no answer, I push open the door to find it unlocked. I walked into the sitting room to find my home reeking with alcohol. On the cushion next to the wall my dead drunk dad lay, snoring without a single care in the world.

Tired of waking him up and avoiding another brawl of words, I  quietly made my way to my room where I  pulled my stained shirts and pants. I took a look in the mirror and wow! I liked what I saw; ripped muscles and pronounced abs, I was in peak condition. Now all I needed was a spark in my life. I stepped into the bathroom to get a shower.

Getting out, I left my room only to be met with a delicious aroma coming from the kitchen. I entered the kitchen to see my very first love. My mom was busy cooking my dad's favourite dish while he drank himself to death in the sitting room.

 'Hey, mom'. I said as I entered the kitchen.

My mom turned and her chubby cheeks suddenly transformed into a huge smile when she saw her only son. I have always wondered how my good gentle mom,  beautiful as a sunflower, had gotten married to such a hell of a drunk.

 'Hey David darling, how was your day?' She asked me while turning back to the dish she was preparing.

'It was just alright' I muttered quietly sniffing my nose. I hugged my mom and gave her a peck on her forehead. She smiled to herself.

'Alright mom, I'm going for a walk see ya later'. I said kissing my mom goodbye. I pass by the sitting room on my way out and noticed my dad is no longer laid sprawled on the cushion. I hope my mom didn't meet him in that condition. Looking up, I realize the television is still on and the news is on rambling about some celebrity who's in town to perform, some guy named Marshal Collins. 'Good for him' I thought.

I quickly stepped out of the house into the cold evening. I hugged myself as I walked slowly into the cool evening sea breeze. I had lived in this town since I was a baby. it was my comfort zone, where I felt safe.

People dreamed about living life, seeing the world but the world was Clinetower to me. The waters around it, the smell of the chill sea breeze.

I finally reached my destination; the beach. Picking a stone, I sat on my favourite rock and listen to birds chirping and the calm breeze of the sea. There was no one at the beach today which was rare but who was I to complain? I needed space to think.

Looking into the sea, I noticed small bubbles dancing on the surface of the water. I thought the bubbles were beautiful, the way it connected with the waves, that's when i saw it!!

A hand dashes out of the water and sinks back slowly. Horror stuck as realization seeped in that someone was drowning. Without another thought, splash!!! I dived into the sea fully clothed.