LITTLE GREEN EYES

CLINETOWER NOVEMBER 14TH 1995

Hey wattpaders, a chapter for you all on this beautiful Saturday.

Enjoy!!!

The woman moved quickly, her feet moving quickly through the leaves. It was 9pm. She wore a grey scarf that covered her hair and face leaving only her eyes open.

The weather was freezing, must be winter coming, she thought. She held a large basket in her hands which had layers of clothing on it. She looked like the modern version of red riding hood only this she was no young girl.

She was close now, her ultimate destination. Her steps quickened, as her nervous state increased.

'Hey! stop right there!' with that, she took off running with the basket in her hands in a bush path. Pushing through the shrubs and tall flowers, she ran as fast as her short legs could carry her. She could hear the footsteps inching closer as she drew closer to where she wanted to be.

She saw a little side path in her flight and quickly turned into the path and hid behind a tree. Her breaths coming in short gasps, she counted slowly from one to hundred. She was hearing muffled noises. It took her a while for her to realize that the cries were coming from her basket.

Getting on her knees, she opened the basket and lifted the clothes. A little baby with little tears running down the cheeks.

'Shh little one, we are in trouble, I need you to be quiet'. The baby looked at her and his smile got larger, his little green eyes shone in the night light.

She heard the man coming closer. His breathing was heavy.

'I don't know who you are, but didn't your mother tell you not to come out this late at night?' the man shouted with a voice that thundered in the silence of the night.

She held her breath, he was right behind her tree, he came forward, he was right beside her now. She dared not to raise her gaze towards him. He was large and looked scary.

At that point, she heard something fall to the ground and she closed her eyes tightly.

'Stupid axe' the man muttered and he bent to pick it up. Now she could feel his breath touching her legs.

He picked it and after standing in that spot for a while left in the opposite direction without a word.

She opened her eyes and looked at the child's face. He had this serious look on his face as if he was trying to figure out why her eyes were closed that tight.

'We are okay kiddo, we made it.' She said smiling with tears in her eyes. The baby smiled back at her.

She got up and made her towards her path and arrived where she was headed; the ship port.

Getting to where the ships were, she looked at her ticket. She was supposed to be aboard the ship "Serpiente". She carried her basket and went to the official taking the tickets.

'Name?' he grumbled out.

'Ruth Mendez'

He looked up and then back to his paper.

'Travelling alone?'

'Yes'

He looked up again and noticed the basket in her hands.

'What's in the basket?'

Ruth could hear her heartbeat. The first drops of rain dropped and the rain started falling.

'Just some clothes'

He looked at her suspicious. He stood up and started walking towards her, every step taken increased the rate of her heart beat.

'I want to see those clothes.' he said when he finally stood right in front of her.

 The rain started falling faster and faster and heavier and heavier.

She was slowly getting soaked, he took hold of the basket and started opening it. He saw the first layer of cloth. She held her breath.

'Maxwell! Maxwell! the rain is coming thick and fast, we have to move now!' the frantic calls coming from the lead sailor.

He looked up at her and huffed.'

'Alright, go right ahead' he said clearly annoyed by the call he had just received.

She let out a sigh of relief which was swallowed by the sounds of the rain.

She started walking towards the mouth of the ship when he spoke again.

'Enjoy your trip, Madrid is a beautiful city'.

Umesi_jnr