THE POWER OF SCOTCH

Hey!!! My dear friends and wonderful readers, thank you so much for voting, I really appreciate it.

And like I promised, a new chapter, even earlier. Enjoy!!

Votes and comments are appreciated!!!

What you can't say controls you,
What you hide owns you...

CLINETOWER 1995

Cries rang out as the storm rages on, midwives running around with masks on their faces, however Dennis didn't look a bit concerned which was weird since the child they were trying to bring into this world was his.

He sat down in the chair outside the delivery room along the hospital's hallway, whistling while reading the newspaper. The day was August 14th, 1995 and it was close to midnight.

Dennis never really wanted this baby, he told the damn woman to abort it many times but oh no, she wanted her own flesh and blood staring at her.

He took a long drink from the scotch he was holding in his hand. He was supposed to get married soon and he didn't need this complication in his life. He was holding out to paying Nancy off to go somewhere faraway.

He didn't need the stress.

He heard frantic steps coming out of the room. Rushing out of the delivery room was the chief midwife. She looked exhausted with blood splattered all over her. They have been at it for 9 hours now, she looked like she needed a break, thought Dennis.

'We have a problem' she said in a tiny and low voice. Dennis thought she sounded like a chipmunk. Her height and pronounced front teeth wasn't helping issues. He was still deciding if she looked like a full chipmunk or a rabbit. He decided to go for half chipmunk half rabbit.

'Mister, are you listening to me?'

'Sorry, yes I am, what problem?' All of a sudden, she looked a tad nervous.

Dennis wondered if she was the same woman who was so anxious to draw his attention a while ago.

'We.., uhmm had a complication in the surgery which led to other complication, her tube was...'

'Get to the point woman' Dennis said raising his voice. This seemed to shake the woman. For a mid-wife, she didn't have a lot of composure.

'We can only save one, one has to die. If we try saving both, we lose them both'. She said her mouth moving almost feverishly as she spoke. 'As the father of the child, we need you to decide' she said gulping.

Dennis closed his eyes tight. He hated these situations, this was why he wanted the baby gone in the first place. He opened his mouth to say the mother but just then, he imagined the baby, the eyes, the smile, and how it was his flesh and blood.

'Sir, we don't have much time, we need your word to continue. She's lost a lot of blood' the woman said, urgency sparking in her eyes.

'The baby', Dennis said very loudly that he also surprised himself. The woman nodded and started walking away.

'Sorry, what's your name?' Dennis asked her turned figure.

'Ruth'  she answered with a questioning look.

'Good, the baby is yours, I don't want to set my eyes on him or her, or whatever'. With that, Dennis turned and walked right out the clinic, his footsteps echoing as he went right into the storm leaving Ruth standing shocked and frozen.

                                                                                       ************
Margaret looked out of the window as the plane landed. In her hands, she held a tear-drop locket tightly.

I can't do this anymore.

He has to know the truth.

He deserves to know...

Who the heck is Dennis? I have no idea, next chapter on Saturday folks.

Umesi_jnr