NUMB

Camera lights flashed repeatedly from all angles. Journalists, reporters and the whole lot all stood up as the most influential man in Brookstone walked into the large hall with an unreadable, neutral and cold-warm look on his face and eyes. Everyone waited for him to say something or acknowledge them, after all this was a press conference.

He approached the platform and stood right in front of the microphone. Taking a deep breath, he cleared his throat and the conference hall came to life; reporters spoke hurriedly, questions were thrown but Mr. Stones stood there, saying nothing, giving nothing away. There was something about him that commanded respect, authority and close control. He cleared his throat and every one froze, anticipating what he would say.

Mr. Stones started speaking.

'Recent events has forced my hands to call this conference. The recent shooting of a young girl in the middle of a street in Brookstone while being in the presence of Mr. Marshal Collins has raised most controversy in the press. I wish to categorically state that the young woman is stable and will survive, Marshal of course is fine as well... I would now entertain four questions only'.

The sounds of pen hurriedly writing immediately stopped as the reporters hustled to get their questions across. Finally, Mr. Stones pointed to a short rounded man who seemed to be losing the battle due to his bigger counterparts. Reporters paused to hear his question.

'What is the girl's name?'

'Miss Caulkins' stones answered without pausing to think.

The short man was immediately swallowed by reporters raising their hands and asking their questions without permission. Mr. Stones pointed to a tall slim man who seemed out of breath and whose tie has flown to his back.

'Am from the daily news Brookstone and we would like to know if Mr. Collins would be going on tour after the recent security issues and if he will, where would he go?'

Mr. Stones smiled, 'I wish to correct the notion that they are security issues around Mr. Marshal. Yes, Mr. Marshal will go on tour and I have taken it upon myself to choose the next two locations. First, he will be travelling to the United Kingdom, London to be precise, then he goes to Africa, Nigeria to be precise. I also take this as two questions in one, so I will only entertain one more question'.

The reporters realizing they were out of options frantically tried to get the last question but there was a certain agreement about what the question would be in the air as Mr. Stones pointed at another reporter who quickly stood up.

'Mr. Stones, am from News reports and I would like to know the relationship between Mr. Marshal and Miss Caulkins'. The hall went silent as they waited for his answer. Mr. Stones paused for seconds, agonizing seconds and then smiled.

'I believe Marshal is an adult and so can answer for himself. Whenever you see him, do well to ask him that. I now consider this press conference done and finished'. With those last words, he left the reporters scrambling to put their papers in order.

                      *****************

WELLIS' POV

It's been two weeks now. Ana's dad had stayed for 3 days and left after I insisted that I would call him immediately the situation changed. The doctor had given Ana permission to eat and the heaps of papers of donuts kept increasing. It was clear that she was having a swell time.

Marshal was allowed to leave the hospital after a day but really, he never left. He stayed throughout, slept outside in the hall way but only went in when Ana was asleep, guess he couldn't face her yet.

She was getting better every day. The doctor said she would be free to go but really, I wanted her to stay in the hospital if that meant she would be safe. The paparazzi had not left either. Camped all day outside waiting for something, anything. I guess Marshal was really an icon after all.

I felt a hand touch my shoulder which shook me from my thoughts. I turned and met clear grey eyes as Stacy stared back at me.

'Time to go, she's ready to leave now so is Marshal'.

'You really think this is a good idea?'

'Yes, we have a dozen men on her and Marshal, visible and invisible to their eyes, nothing can go wrong, don't worry about it' she said standing up and walking towards Ana's room.

'We are expecting you' she said as she went out of sight. I had seen a different side to Stacy when the accident occurred, I had seen her eyes soften, and she had held me, made me feel like nothing could go wrong. I had felt a connection, this spark between us... the kind that doesn't die down but just keeps growing still it consumes you.

But now, she was back to been Cold Stacy Mark. It was as if the other Stacy Mark never existed, was a mirage.

I stood up and walked into the room where Ana was standing, dressed in blue faded jeans and a white top, as if she had not been shot recently. I saw her eyes narrow as she looked around.

'Where is Marshal? I have not seen him for two weeks now, has he forgotten I was shot or something?' Ana's eyes revealed her pained look.

'He will be here, you know Marshal late as ever' Stacy said looking at her wrist watch
Ana rolled her eyes, 'I wonder when he will grow up'.

'I will grow up, the day you stop eating donuts or the day the color of your eyes change to orange'.

I rolled my eyes as we all turned to see Marshal standing at the door grinning, staring straight at Ana. Ana's eyes light up as she saw him, but her expression remained neutral, almost like she had trained for this all her life.

'Marshal' she half-whispered.

'Ana' he half whispered back.

'Stacy, Wellis. Now that we all know each other, can we please move forward? This is getting boring' Stacy said immediately moving towards the door where Marshal stood.

'Didn't know you knew my name was Ana' Ana said when she got closer to him. Marshal smiled but the smile slowly faded when he saw me looking at them.

'So we have to go now' he said rather fast and quickly walked out of the room leaving Ana looking confused. I had to hold back a chuckle.

Ana shook her head.

'You sure you don't like Marshal Collins? I said raising my eye brows, am being serious Ana do you like Marshal?'

Ana looked at me with a serious face. 'I don't like him that way, I just want to have more friends. Am sure you must be sick of seeing my face every time'.

I smiled, 'I can never be sick of seeing you, you seem to have forgotten you are my only friend too'

Throwing my arms around her shoulders, we left the room together.

Stacy was at the door of the hospital with 8 guards all dressed in black with black glasses with an expressionless look. Stacy turned to look at us.

'No speaking to the press, we walk straight to the car, understood?'

We all nodded. The hospital door opened to a flood of cameras flashing and microphones in the air. I took a deep breath and stepped into the chaos.

         *****************************

STACY'S POV

I knew who I was. I was a broken fountain, a dried up stream. As I watched Marshal stare at Ana in a way I had not seen him stare at anyone, I felt jealousy and envy stir up in me. I could never have that. No guy would stare at me that way. I was too dark, the things I had done to survive. I was cold, heartless. I didn't deserve love. I didn't have a heart, I was numb, dead but alive, dead to touch. No one could like me once they knew who I was, once they knew I was something worse than the devil. I didn't deserve love and I couldn't love.