EMPTY SHADOW

Hello readers,

I've been so motivated to write and write recently and this is what it has led to!

A new chapter 20 hours after the previous one.

I hope you like this chapter. Did I say like?

I meant LOVE

Enjoy!

SOMEWHERE IN MADRID 1998

Amelia Collins entered her room cleaning her hands on a napkin. The time was six in the evening and the golden rays of the setting sun fluttered into the house through the open window.

She sat down on her bed heavily. It had been a long day. Working in the office and then rushing home to prepare dinner, not that anyone ate it these days. Her husband Francisco stayed away from home much of the time and deep down she knew why.

She raised her head and stared at the picture resting on the table beside her bed and she felt hot instant tears threaten to fall from her eyes.

Getting up, she walked towards the table and bent looking at it.

Her bridal gown was so beautiful. It sparkled even in the picture. She had gotten the best she could find in Madrid and that day was the most joyous moment in her life.

Picking up the picture, she walked slowly to the window.

They were so happy she thought while looking at the picture. She remembered the crazy things they did when they were young. She remembered how he would sneak in while her parents still slept and he would carry her on his back while he jumped down from her window. She remembered watching the stars from his van throughout the night. She remembered their wedding day, how he whispered into her ears that she was the best thing that had happened to him.

Now, it was all an empty shadow, all memories. The spark she saw in his beautiful face was long gone. He now smiled sadly and avoided her. It wasn't her fault. She wanted what he wanted as passionately as he did. He couldn't even look her in the face these days.

A knock interrupted her thoughts as she heard someone enter her house like it was theirs.

Francisco is back? She thought her head spinning and her hands becoming sweaty. Why is he back so early?

She got out of the room and peeped out to see her friend Margaret looking around, probably wondering where everyone was.

Giggling slightly, she slowly snuck out from where she was hiding and approached Maggie slowly.

'BOO!'

Maggie shook like a leaf being tossed about like the wind and jumped up landing in a position kung-Fu masters would have been proud of while amid Amelia's outburst of laughter.

'Very funny Amelia, very funny'

'I'm so sorry' she said between fits of laughter. 'I just couldn't resist the urge to see the look on your face, priceless'

Maggie muttered some words under her breath much to Amelia's amusement.

Maggie took a seat still recovering from the nerve wrecking experience so did Amelia.