Chapter 16- Earlybird In Worry

"Pikachu, use thunder bolt!" Ash commanded

"Pikachu, use thunder bolt!" Ash commanded. The yellow mouse stood in the middle of our makeshift battlefield in a small clearing of the Kalos forest. The electric Pokemon was breathing hard, a heavy morning of training weighing on its shoulders. None the less, it listened to its trainer and sent out an arch of blazing lightening in my direction.

"Eevee, use protect now!" I yelled, praying my Pokemon was quick to react before the counter attack hit her. Luckily, Eevee created a glowing green wall around herself that easily absorbed the shock. After a few days and hours of training, Eevee was finally able to make her protect full circle. To say that the least, it didn't make Ash so happy.

The sun was emerging from the horizon line, indicating the break of dawn. At this point of the morning, most was quiet. Everyone els was still sound asleep as warmth started to roll over the tree tops.

Ash and I shared the same drive and need to battle. Training alone was never the same as it was with Ash. There was something about his toothy grin that made the experience so much better. Him and I both knew we had another long day of traveling ahead of us so time for training could only fit early in the day. Any day without a training session made me fidgety and unsettled. I noticed it in Ash too.

"That's great Eevee, you're getting stronger!" I complimented the feline Pokemon. Ash gritted his teeth at this, short of ideas to get around the shield. I smirked at his conflicted features. "Defeat is a bad look on you, Ash!" I shouted across the field to him.

"I'm not done yet. Pikachu use iron tail on the ground, right in front of Eevee!" He demanded. I was taken aback, now it was my turn to be idealess.

Pikachu's tail began glowing a hot white. It struck the ground with brute force, sending vibrations through the earth. Seismic waves rippled the grass, soil bursting through the cracks. My eyes widened.

"Eevee!" I cried in a panic. My Pokemon was sent flying into the air with the force of the earthquake, her body flopping like a rag doll. Although her protect fully covered her when she stood safely on the ground, it didn't cover underneath her. Now she was ten feet in the air, Ash had a clear shot at and there was no way to dodge it.

"Pikachu, electro ball!"

A spinning sphere of energy formed on the tip of the electric Pokemon's tail. I watched in shock horror. It wasn't often my mind stopped ticking. Usually, even at the most desperate of times, things clicked into place like clockwork. And ideas would pop into my head. But not this time.

The attack hit Eevee, sending her back with a swooshing sound. It made me cringe. My mindless actions caused my Pokemon to get hurt. Guilt started to well up inside me. Another thing that pushed me to be the best was that I hated seeing my Pokemon in pain. I hated the twisted look of agony in Eevee's dark eyes. Too me, nothing was worse.

The evolution Pokemon landed by my feet. Her snow colored fur was coated in dirt. Every limb wobbled and she struggled to stay on her feet. The rise and fall of her chest was unnaturally fast. And it pained me. That was my fault.