Chapter 26- Natures Crown

Serena's POV:

The flower hadn't wilted or crippled. Not even by morning. All the way through my slumber, it stayed vibrant and fresh, still carrying its unique fragrance. Truly, undying. In fact, the first thing I did after the sun awoke me was fix it behind my ear again, just the way Ash had. Unfortunately I couldn't seem to get it quite exact, so it felt rather awkward. I wanted to ask Ash for his assistance but, of course, I was too scared.

It was the perfect accent, just as Ash had stated the previous day. The pinks tied in perfectly with the color of my dress, complimenting it elegantly. Elaina questioned me about the flower, how could she not? I simply said 'we're working it out for ourselves' in response. At first she grinned widely, obviously happy with our efforts but then began complaining that she wasn't satisfied with my answer. I just laughed and brushed her off.

We were currently strolling through the forest, morning sun still shining through gaps in the canopy. I kept fiddling with the flower, trying to make fit right. My mind was rather distracted as it flicked between memories of the previous day and trying to follow Elaina's desperate attempts to get me to tell her about the flower.

Luckily, Aron and Ash walked on ahead, discussing the matter of Chespin and Cydaquil's training progress so they didn't hear our current conversation. I was extremely relived for this, seeing as I would probably have been the color of a sun kissed tomato if not.

"Come on! Please tell me! It's not like I'm going to tell the whole world! Serena? Serena!" My best friend complained beside me as I continued to analyze Ash's back and how his skin hugging jacket outlined the contours of his shoulders. I'm such a stalker.

"Maybe I'll tell you someday, but for now, the only answer you'll get is that we're trying to figure it out for ourselves." I muttered, still slightly distracted.

"You're turning my own words against me! You can't do that, it's totally unfair!" She threw her arms in the air with protest. Her voice raised until I was sure she would rope Ash and Aron in any second. Quickly I gave her a stern glare and dragged her to a stop.

"Quite down or Ash will hear you." I whispered harshly and she instantly smacked her trap shut. I studied her with a hard look, making sure there was no possibility of her doing it again. Elaina looked back with puppy eyes as if trying to worm her way out of my scolding. But then she dug her hole deeper.

"So did he give you the flower before or after he kissed you?" She asked bluntly, causing my jaw to drop and my cheeks to burn like an inferno. My whole face practically flushed an unnatural red at the mention. Anyone would have predicted that I had run a marathon, but no, this was the extent of my blushing.

"What!? No...he did not...we did not...that's not true!" I struggled to get the words out of my mouth. It was as if my jaw couldn't function properly and my sentences got stuck in my throat. Nothing came out quite the way I wanted it to. But in the process of embarrassing myself, I also happened to capture Ash's attention.

"Serena, what are you talking about?" He called to me with sudden concern creasing his face.

"Nothing!" I shouted back in alarm. That was a close call. I sighed in relief as Ash reluctantly turned away and continued his conversation with Aron. Though, the jet haired boy kept glancing back to check if I was having a heart attack, which seemed like a general possibility. In that moment I felt like curling into a ball and slowly shrinking until nothing remained, until I ceased to exist. Hopefully, then, I couldn't embarrass myself anymore.

"He didn't kiss you? That's upsetting." Elaina shrugged as we trudged on, following the duo of boys in front of us.

"Can we stop talking about the matter?" I asked, simply to question. But, I knew she wouldn't let up so easy and my answer was almost enviable.