Chapter 39- When Things Fall Down

A/N: Okay, so you all know how much I've been dreading this chapter. And I'm accepting a lot of unhappy readers, but don't make any mistake. I have my reasons. And depending on what responses I get in the next few hours, I might make a chapter explaining all my reasons for doing this. So, let me know if you want that.
_____________________________________________________

Everything was seemingly perfect. All wrapped up, sealed seamlessly and tied neatly with a bow. Serena was traveling with us again. I'd seen Gary after such a long time. Greninja was back. Elaina hadn't shed another tear since that night.

But it's funny how the universe works. Nothing is perfect. Good things don't stay for too long. At some point, the universe finds a way to tear that perfectness to shreds, rip it from your grasp and make you plead on your knees.

And one day, the universe did just that.

It started with a simple phone call. The muffled buzzing woke me up in the early hours of morning. I hadn't used my cell phone in months, it'd never proved of much need.Groggily awakening, I rummaged through my backpack in order to take the call.

But who could be calling at this hour?

Fumbling about with the device, I somehow managed to accept the call and bring it to my ear. Sleep still heavily ran through my veins and at first I was rather slow to comprehend what was coming through the other end. My voice was already weak with lethargy, but this phone call made my lack of vocal activity worse.

"Ash? Hello? Is that you?" A familiar voice came through the other end and in my sleepy daze, I attempted a smile, but it must have resembled more of a grimace.

"Professor Oak. W-why are you calling? It's so..." I yawned carelessly, "early."

"Something very tragic has happen here in Pallet and I think you need to come down. Now." He informed, but I could tell, even in this stupor, that he was dancing around the real reason for calling. Like taking cautious steps around a fragile vase, in fear it would fall and shatter.

"Go back to Kanto? No, I can't. I'm not ready. All my friends are here, Gary is here. Whatever it is, I'm sure my mum can step in my place." I reassured the professor. I wanted to hold onto Kalos for a little longer still. Yes, my original excuse had been Greninja, and now he was back, there seemed no excuse at all. But still, I refused to let go.

"That's who I am calling about." His voice was meek and barley threaded onto stability. Confusion instantly leaked into my expression.

"M-my mom?" I questioned, with hesitance. I pondered if I really wanted to know what professor Oak had to say; his previous words ringing in my head so loud it throbbed.

Something very tragic has happened here in Pallet.

"Ash..." He's said my name, as if I might have lost all memory of it. As if my name could comfort me. It did no such thing. "You're mom...she was in a terrible accident last night. She's in hospital now and been in surgery for the last three hours. I didn't want to trouble you, but, I'm afraid it's not looking good. Ash, I think it's best you come down."