Chapter 28- Bottled Sunshine

We had been instructed to stay the night, or as long as it took Ash to recover

We had been instructed to stay the night, or as long as it took Ash to recover. I simply agreed with a nod of my head. Annabelle and Elaina attended to Ash's wounds while I was told to sleep. My friend lead me to her room, with some protesting on my behalf. I wanted to help Ash, but once I felt the soft vintage pillow against my neck, sleep engulfed me shortly.

At first, my slumber was deep and untroubled. It was dreamless and ultimately pleasant. But by 2:00 am, I was restless and wide awake. Elaina had come in during the early hours of night and took the spot next to me on her queen sized bed. When I awoke, I couldn't help but notice that her warmth had vanished and the silk duvet had been pushed away on her side. I was completely alone in the darkness.

Much like the rest of the house, Elaina's room was old fashioned with yellowed floral wallpaper and a hand carved oak headboard. An antique mirror was set up in the bottom right corner and a white vanity flourished with old jewelry in the left. It looked like something pulled straight out of a 1930s movie, stocked with little knacks and furniture that were fashionable many years ago.

Everything was washed in darkness and the house stood in an eery silence. I sat up on the springy mattress and drank in my midnight sunken surroundings. My mind wondered to the whereabouts of my friend who appeared to have vanished. With curiosity bubbling within, I swung myself out of bed and began navigating my way to the door.

Every light was out so mapping through the corridors was difficult. On top of that, I wasn't exactly sure where I was going. I simply looked for anything that suggested my friend was near. All that could be heard were my bare feet tapping against the floor. Moonlight drifting through musty window panes was my only source of guidance. My fingers trailed along the timber walls to keep my path straight and the bitterness of the night nipped at my exposed skin.

I rounded a corner mindlessly and came to a closed door with white light seeping out the edges. Whoever occupied it appeared to be awake. I approached it wearily. When my nose was practically pressed against the splintering wooden exterior, I turned the brass nob and let the bright light engulf me. After my eyes adjusted, I saw the last thing I expected.

A familiar golden haired girl stood at the foot of a twin sized bed, her back to me. Elaina gazed upon a raven haired boy who was wrapped up in blankets on the bed, still unresponsive. At the sound of the door opening, Elaina spun around with an alarmed expression. When her eyes fell on me she relaxed and a sad smile perked her lips but no words came out. Large lilac circles ringed her eyes and exhaustion caked each feature. Her teal-green orbs had lost their spark and her hair was a wild mane rimming her facial structure.

I stood next to her and gazed at Ash. He looked better than he had when I last saw him, which was good. But the boy was patched in bandages from head to toe. Thankfully, his expression was more peaceful now then it had been yesterday. Ash's skin was pasty and unnaturally paler than usual and Pikachu slept soundly across the jet haired boy's abdomen. Somehow, Elaina had managed to convince her mother to let the Pokemon inside the house.