Chapter 19- Cry Wolf

I would just like to tell you guys that I wrote an Amourshipping one shot! Its called Heaven in Hiding. If you like Amourshipping, you should totally read it. I admit, it's kind of a twisted story but I thought the idea was cool. So I wrote it down! Anyways, hope you enjoy this chapter!

_____________________________________________________

"Serena? Are you nervous?" Ash asked. I jumped out of my skin at the question. Nervous? Yes. In love? Yes. Flabbergasted? Absolutely.

He actually noticed something! What happened to the Ash I knew?

"N-nervous? N-no. I-I'm not n-nervous." I tried to tell him but my words began tripping over themselves. I wanted to die right on the spot.

"You're stuttering, Serena. That's another sign that you're nervous." He asked, raising an eyebrow at me. I felt myself rear back, it was as if I was being interrogated. Ash could not find out about my crush on him. But the fact that he noticed something overjoyed a part of me.

"A-am I s-stuttering?" My voice had risen an octave and I tried to calm myself down. There's no way Ash could find out about my crush on him. He was still extremely dense. Right? Elaina couldn't have made that much progress with him in such a short amount of time.

"Why are you nervous Serena? There's no need to be." He cooed, inching closer to me as if it would calm my nerves. Absolutely not the case.

And there was, in fact, need to be nervous. My hand was in his. We were alone together, in a cave, far away from anyone's company. He had just saved me from a swarm of Beedrill. He was my hero. It was all him. He was the reason I was nervous.

"Maybe I'm still recovering from the Beedrill incident." I came up with an excuse. I wasn't ready for Ash to know my secret.

"It's okay. We are safe now, and I'm here to protect you." Ash lifted our intertwined hands so I could see them. I loved the way his tan fingers engulfed my pale ones. It looked so pleasing, sending a tremble down my back. Then he dropped our hands again and my lips turned into a slight frown.

"We should get going back to the campsite now." I suggested and began making my way out of the cave. To my surprise, Ash tugged me back so my spine was press against the wall again and our shoulders grazed each other. I gave him a funny look, confused as to why he did that. "What's wrong, Ash?"

"Well...I uh...I mean...we should probably wait here a bit longer. J-just to be s-safe." He exclaimed, nervously rubbing his index finger under his nose. I found he did that often when he was nervous.

Why is Ash nervous? For him, there's no reason to be.

"If you say so." I shrugged and relaxed onto the smooth cave surface. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Ash run his fingers through his hair, shake his head and look away. It was almost as if he, himself, was not sure why he did that.

We waited again in silence. I hadn't anything to say. Although I noticed him casting me glances regularly. Often I wondered what went on inside Ash's head. Nothing he did made sense anymore. Ash continued to surprise me everyday.

"Serena, I know I've already asked you this twice, but I need to ask again." The raven haired boy finally spoke up. I raised my eyebrow, scanning my head for what he was talking about.

"What is it?" I asked in a soft tone.

"Who is 'him'? The one you are yet to confess your love to." He replied.

My lips parted in surprise. This again? I can't believe he still remembers. I squeezed his hand tightly, as if I could quietly tell him the answer. But Ash was to oblivious to realize its meaning.

"For the millionth time! I'm not ready to share yet. Hasn't it only been two days since I told you last?" I questioned.

"Well, yes, but it's been on my mind a lot lately. I just can't seem to shake it." He looked slightly embarrassed.

"If you tell me why it's bothering you, maybe I'll be a little more willing."

"Honestly, I couldn't tell you. Forget it, Serena. I shouldn't have asked anyway." He shook his head, looking the opposite direction from me.

I stared at him with my forehead creased. Is he really going to brush it off like this again? He needs to get himself in check. He can't put me through this emotional panic then brush it off as if it's nothing.

"You always do this! You ask me who 'him' is and then, a few seconds later, you act as if you don't care. You can't do that to me, Ash Ketchum." I said, my voice raising in frustration.

"I told you, I don't want to talk about it." He didn't even look my way. I gritted my teeth.

"Then stop asking! Plus, I should be able to have a crush on anyone I please without it concerning you. You are not the center of my universe! So what if I have a crush on someone!? Its not for you to interfere."

Everything I yelled was a lie. The only reason I wanted him to stop asking was because I knew someday, I would tell him. And I was scared of admitting the truth. Sometimes, his obliviousness was so frustrating I just snapped. It was like being in love with a rock.

Ash looked at me with a tidal wave of emotions. His eyes were saddened. They held a look of heart ache. But his features were confused, puzzled as to what half my vent meant. He was angry, confused, upset and awe struck all at the same time. It left him speechless. I studied him intensely, trying to decipher what he was thinking.

"W-we should g-get back to the campsite n-now." I whispered, somehow in shock of my sudden out burst. Ash nodded, immediately looking away from me. He couldn't bare to meet my eye.

As he exited the cave, the jet haired boy let go of my hand. His warmth left me chilled in the shadow of the cave. I sighed, my fingers feeling abnormally empty.

"I'm sorry Ash, but it's been you all along." I whispered to myself. Ash couldn't hear me, he was already to far out of my reach.

*.       *.       *.       *.

Ash and I arrived back at the campsite after a horribly awkward walk. Of course, we were greeted by the siblings consumed in an argument. They bickered like children in the center of our clearing. Something about the Beedrill. Luckily, when they noticed our presence, the argument came to a close.

Elaina ran up to me, worry plastered on her face. I felt relived to finally have her company again. She should be able to help me with the terrible dilemma I had created for myself.

"Serena?! Are you alright?" She cried, checking my face for injuries.

"I'm just fine." I sighed. She relaxed.

"Ash, you okay?" The blonde called to her training partner, an equal amount of concern for his well being.

"Don't worry about me Elaina, I'm alright." Ash reassured her.

"That's good to hear." She nodded, satisfied. I looked down at the ground, my mood still blue. Somehow I had to fix my problem but I wasn't sure how. Hopefully Ash could forgive me quickly.

"Serena? I though you said you were fine." Elaina raised a curious eyebrow at me. I perked up.

"I am. Look, no cuts or bruises." I replied, showing her my unscratched limbs. My friend shook her head and came closer to me so only I could hear her voice.

"I know you are fine physically, but not emotionally." She stated in my ear. I sighed in defeat.

"Alright, I'll tell you."

_______________________________________________________

I feel like this was kind of a meh chapter. Sorry, but I really wanted to update.