Chapter 36- The Tearling

We had trudged our way through the Kalos desert all day

We had trudged our way through the Kalos desert all day. A heavy beating of sun on our backs and either the difficult terrain of scorching sand or summer baked mud beneath our feet. Water was scarce but luckily, Gary had brought extra.

Admittedly, Gary and I had bickered our way through the trek. It really wasn't cause we had a point to argue, it was due to entertainment. A getaway from the harsh desert route. Ash, on the other hand, sluggishly pulled his feet and pouted and sulked. Conversation didn't pull him out of his glum and neither did arguments. I had even proposed a battle, but he declined.

I had come to learn this was an indication something was wrong.

The sun was sinking behind the sandy horizon when the temperatures began to drop. Final waves of heat expelled from the sand as bitterness seeped into its place. I certainly was not familiar nor aware of the harsh diurnal temperatures. This was when Gary decided we should stop for the night. He was actually a rather smart guy and had suggested we stock up on fire wood before leaving the comfort of the forest. Luckily, I had listened, for fuel was limited in the desert.

"Ash, do you mind starting to unpack the tents while Elaina and I work on the fire?" Gary had ordered, looking on with a mixture of sympathy and tenderness. Not once had he become frustrated with Ash's attitude during our travels. He was patient, tranquil and empathetic. As if he understood every feeling that coiled within his friend. I, on the other hand...

Well, let's not go into that.

Ash gave a simple nod before attending to his assignment. I sighed, my gaze lingering on his saddened posture a little longer than needed. I missed Serena; I missed her with all my heart, but it hadn't crushed my very will to live. Ash looked as if her absence weighed upon his every step and glued his lips together. It worried me, more than I liked to admit.

Pikachu was also concerned for his trainer. I heard his squeaks of encouragement as we journeyed, almost pleading for Ash to hold his head a fraction higher. To even attempt a quirky smile. But no avail.

"This fire ain't gonna start itself." Gary complained, my lack of cooperation seemed to bother him. As if Ash wasn't currently more of a hassle.

"Relax. I'm helping." I reassured the mahogany haired boy. "Though, could you try be a tiny bit stricter with Mr. Sulky over there and lighten up on me?"

"He's going through a rough time." Was all Gary replied. I gritted my teeth in sheer frustration, growling through the small gaps. Is he blind?

"I'm going through a rough time." I seethed back as we began hoisting sticks and branches from Gary's sack. My movements were rather vigorous as I stacked the wood, glaring at the soon-to-be-professor from under my lashes. "She's my friend too."

"She's more than just a friend to him." Gary murmured and I wasn't sure if I was meant to hear it or not. In the end I kind of wished I hadn't, for those words brought with them a sharp pang at my heart. The feeling lodged itself within my gut, twisting and turning and striking me with both guilt and anguish. I bit my lip to stop it from quivering and averted my gaze.